inhibiting win 10 upgrades from rebooting pc

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So, I want to know how to prevent win10 upgrades from interrupting and shutting down my cam system as a result of an update?
If I'm travelling I want my pc to be powered up 24/7 and not interrupted by win10 reboots. Yes, I do have it attached to a UPS.
I know about the 'scheduled restart' option but that only works if you're there to activate it. I do have it setup to prompt me but if I'm not there I'm not sure how long it will delay before going ahead and restarting anyway.
I have BI setup to avoid sleep but I'm really concerned with the win 10 upgrades.

Ideally, if there's a way to recover and relaunch BI then I suppose that would do too. I know there used to be a way to do this as we had pc's at work setup like this. If the power was removed they would boot back up and restart their applications all by themselves. This of course also bypassed the login screen too....

Anyway, what do you think? If you're already doing this please share....

Bob T.

EDIT: One thing I did tonight was to place a shortcut in the win10 startup folder and after a reboot it runs it as a service so my clients have no problem with that.
All I need to do now is to get the pc to boot straight to the desktop.....

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
google will tell you how to defer updates...
there are many threads discussing how to start blue iris on startup using task scheduler...

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
EDIT: One thing I did tonight was to place a shortcut in the win10 startup folder and after a reboot it runs it as a service so my clients have no problem with that.
All I need to do now is to get the pc to boot straight to the desktop.....
If BI is truly running as a Windows service, it will start automatically when Windows does, without a user having to logon (or the desktop needing to be present).

Check out the "Run as a Service" section on the page below:
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If BI is truly running as a Windows service, it will start automatically when Windows does, without a user having to logon (or the desktop needing to be present).

Check out the "Run as a Service" section on the page below:
Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
Aristobrat: I'll have a look at that thread. Thanks.
Well, there's a popup that says it is running as a service but it isn't launched until after login. The popup says that BI is running as a service but you can open the UI by clicking the shortcut, or something like that.....I tested it by monitoring my client on my phone. It won't login until after the PC has moved past the login screen.

Google- all the information I read on Google says that under win10's forced upgrade download policies that it's really difficult to avoid the dreaded reboot. You can delay it but not avoid it. That's the gist of what I read. There's many who complain about this and I too have had my pc boot unexpectedly for an update.
I'm okay with a restart as long as I can relaunch BI.....

Anyway, I think I have a viable way to do this. I haven't tried it yet but when I do, if it works, I'll post it up here but first I'll visit the thread mentioned above.

EDIT: I have looked at the thread mentioned above and there's lots of great info there but it really doesn't address the specific operation I'm concerned with: unexpected reboots. Like I said, I think I have a way to do what I want and if it pans out I'll post it up.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Aristobrat: I'll have a look at that thread. Thanks.
Well, there's a popup that says it is running as a service but it isn't launched until after login. The popup says that BI is running as a service but you can open the UI by clicking the shortcut, or something like that.....I tested it by monitoring my client on my phone. It won't login until after the PC has moved past the login screen.

Google- all the information I read on Google says that under win10's forced upgrade download policies that it's really difficult to avoid the dreaded reboot. You can delay it but not avoid it. That's the gist of what I read. There's many who complain about this and I too have had my pc boot unexpectedly for an update.
I'm okay with a restart as long as I can relaunch BI.....

Anyway, I think I have a viable way to do this. I haven't tried it yet but when I do, if it works, I'll post it up here but first I'll visit the thread mentioned above.
as i said, there are a bunch of threads explaining how to do this via task scheduler ...the service will not open the BI interface on its own...
if you have windows pro How to stop Windows 10 auto updates

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
as i said, there are a bunch of threads explaining how to do this via task scheduler ...the service will not open the BI interface on its own...
if you have windows pro How to stop Windows 10 auto updates
I have read some of this by googling. I do not have windows pro on this pc. The PC I use for my cams is an older laptop running ONLY BI and virus s/w under win10 Home. It's dedicated to only the cam system.

EDIT: I found that article last night, Fenderman, and I skimmed over it but again, I do not have win10 pro on this machine.

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a little murky on your actual config. If you have a shortcut dragged to the Startup folder, that's not running it as a service. Do you have the box checked on the BI > Options > Startup screen about it running as a service?

BI.png

injunear

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I don't have it checked off. My original intent was to open it, at startup, as the 'normal' launch with UI on the desktop. Why windows treats it as a service I don't have a clue but it indeed runs in the background and is viewable in my client on my phone. I haven't looked at the Task Manager to see where it shows up because frankly, I don't care as long as it runs.

I intend to get to this sometime today. This will supposedly allow one to go straight to the desktop without a login screen. We'll see.
Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup

EDIT: I tried checking the the box in the server to run BI as a service and it WORKS! It launches BEFORE the login screen so it connects through the client without having to login to the PC.
I guess I got sidetracked when I placed the shortcut in the startup folder and it said it was running as a service and maybe it was but it ran after login- that was NO GOOD.

So, my only concern now is whether the anti-virus and firewall are active at this time too?? Or do they only launch after login?

Last edited:

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, my only concern now is whether the anti-virus and firewall are active at this time too?? Or do they only launch after login?
The ones I've seen also run as services, so they're protecting from the moment Windows starts, regardless of if someone logs in or not.