Initial Network and BI Setup Questions

ff3600

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been reading through this board for the past several weeks as I prepare to setup my home with cameras on BI and other home automation. I am a novice when it comes to most of this, so I am slowly learning. But, I have a few questions about how to properly setup my network before I begin my install to make sure that I have BI operate correctly and securely.
Hardware I am going to install:
  • 4x ip Dahua cams for outside, via EMPIRETECH
  • 2x wifi Amcrest cameras as baby monitors (would prefer ip cams , but unable to wire inside at this time)
  • Unifi network equipment (USG, switch, cloudkey, 1x access point)
  • Dell Optiplex as dedicated BI machine
  • Homeseer on a dedicated machine (eventually)
Planned VLANs:
  • Mgmt VLAN
  • Main VLAN (Our devices, TVs)
  • Guest VLAN
  • Cameras + BI VLAN
  • Home automation VLAN
Questions:
1) I plan to put the ip cameras and the BI machine on a separate VLAN , but want to view the BI feed on our phones and tablets (possible with one dedicated tablet for only camera viewing). Is the only way to view this feed through a VPN connection? Or is there way for these devices to use the home network to access the feed? Looking for path of least resistance for this solution.
2) For the wifi cameras, should these be on the same VLAN as the ip cameras and BI machine? Or can these be on a separate VLAN that has access to the BI machine?
3) I plan to put Homeseer and any home automation on a separate VLAN. Will this segmentation prevent BI integrating with Homeseer? If so, is there an alternate setup that I should consider that will secure cameras and BI but still allow BI to trigger events through Homeseer?

I will appreciate any feedback/recommendations – hoping to get this right before installing the prevent rework down the road.