Initial thoughts - Agent DVR containerized

barchetta1

n3wb
Reaction score
I set up blue iris last week on my proxmox hypervisor server running under Win Server 2019 and was really surprised by the stability and functionality. I have an older server hardware (Xeon 1220) right now and wanted to see if a linux DVR would take up less resources and still be relatively easy to use.

My findings are as follows:
Set up is much more complicated (agent dvr), and Im not just talking about getting the dvr up and running but setting up cameras and getting them to work reliably.
I was most surprised that the containerized agent dvr takes up close to same processor (no gpu) but much less RAM. 512k ram with 5 cameras vs 2.5g for Blue Iris. But it is 100% free, and I wont lose any sleep about not using software legitimately. These numbers are without displaying the cameras in a browser. When connected processor use goes way up. Im also talking about the overall host processor with no other VMs or containers running.

Since I dont own Win server 2019 (or win 10 for that matter) and dont want to deal with the evaluation refresh and so on, Im going to give the Agent DVR product a try and maybe try Zone minder if I feel like dedicating another day of my life to finding out.

One thing I miss about Blue Iris, which maybe someone knows how I can get back is BI automatically moved my PTZ camera around without me programming the camera to do so. I know I can send PTZ commands but dont know how to automate that say on a restart of the container yet.

I would say, if you dont want to screw around, and can afford to pay for BI and also an OS... go that route. IE those that use their time efficiently and not waste a ton of time "just because I have to know".

Next step after wasting a ton of time; Im gonna waste some money on a new hypervisor :

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

barchetta1

n3wb
Reaction score
So you were stealing blue iris?
Also agent DVR is not free....https://www.ispyconnect.com/licensing/agent.aspx You must pay for remote access and other features.
No, I was on a evaluation period. I would have had to pay for it long term.

agent dvr is free, if you have no need for remote access or other features.

barchetta1

n3wb
Reaction score
A much, much better option for less than the cost of windows: Dell Optiplex You can install windows on it for free.
Not sure why some want to reinvent the wheel. :smash:
Well, some used hypervisors for lab work and why invest in hardware when I already have the hardware?

Not sure you folks understand the use case for a hypervisor. This way out of scope here. anyway, it saves me a lot of money and time is all I can say.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Well, some used hypervisors for lab work and why invest in hardware when I already have the hardware?

Not sure you folks understand the use case for a hypervisor. This way out of scope here. anyway, it saves me a lot of money and time is all I can say.
But you said at the end of your post:

Next step after wasting a ton of time; Im gonna waste some money on a new hypervisor :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CPSFQPV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CFOPEZ2NN9QG&th=1

Most here would interpret "Im gonna waste some money on a new hypervisor" as you are going to purchase one, not that you have one laying around....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No, I was on a evaluation period. I would have had to pay for it long term.

agent dvr is free, if you have no need for remote access or other features.
"I wont lose any sleep about not using software legitimately" doesnt sound like you were using the eval version...
90 percent of the purpose of cameras is to use them remotely....

spuls

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
90 percent of the purpose of cameras is to use them remotely....
BI does not provide a remote cloud connector like ispy. You can do the same like on BI and use your own VPN solution, what i would recommend anyway.
But then you also stuck with the webinteface. Last time i tested it the ispy app only worked with a (paid) cloud connector.

barchetta1

n3wb
Reaction score
But you said at the end of your post:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CPSFQPV6/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3CFOPEZ2NN9QG&th=1

Most here would interpret "Im gonna waste some money on a new hypervisor" as you are going to purchase one, not that you have one laying around....
You are correct, I purchased it. Im running Agent DVR and codeproject AI on it. Works wonderfully.. barely uses the processor on this host. The benefit for me is I only record when AI detects what I want it to detect so very few if any useless recordings. If anyone wants to know how to set this up, here is the hink... set recording to MANUAL and use an action of AI detection to trigger recording.

I can see exactly what happened around my home.

I have no need for remote access.. I dont go anywhere and work from home. That being said, Im going to subscribe because Im mostly happy with the software and want to contribute. I hope I can increase the useability of my 20x zoom ptz moving forward.. right now I have it on auto track (via Agent dvr) but its flakey as heck.

Again, I dont think some folks understand what the benefits are of running a hypervisor. Im running 6 different containerized instances of other applications besides the DVR/AI app. In addition I run VMs such as Win11 Win 10, used for various functions, a linux firewall (pfsense), and a windows server with hyper-v and several guests (used for work testing, Im an engineer)

I meant my original post to be helpful.. but it seems to have been taken in some sort of odd way.

That being said, if anyone runs the containerized Agent DVR, and chooses to run it as docker run as opposed to the yaml... I found the website is incorrect to do an upgrade.. here is the corrected version of command sequence:

Choose latest or specific version here:

UPGRADE Via Docker Run Update the image:

PULL LATEST
docker pull mekayelanik/ispyagentdvr:latest

PULL SPECIFIC VERSION (example)
docker pull mekayelanik/ispyagentdvr:5.2.5.0

Stop the running container: docker stop ispyagentdvr

Delete the container:
docker rm mekayelanik/ispyagentdvr

Recreate a new container with the same docker run parameters (if mapped correctly to a host folder, your /AgentDVR/Media/XML folder and settings will be preserved)

RUN / CREATE LATEST CONTAINER docker run -d --name=ispyagentdvr -e PUID=1000 -e PGID=1000 -e TZ=America/New_York -p 8090:8090 -p 3478:3478/udp -p 50000-50010:50000-50010/udp -v /path/to/config:/AgentDVR/Media/XML -v /path/to/recordings:/AgentDVR/Media/WebServerRoot/Media -v /path/to/commands:/AgentDVR/Commands --restart unless-stopped mekayelanik/ispyagentdvr:latest
RUN / CREATE SPECIFIC VERSION CONTAINER docker run -d --name=ispyagentdvr -e PUID=1000 -e PGID=1000 -e TZ=America/New_York -p 8090:8090 -p 3478:3478/udp -p 50000-50010:50000-50010/udp -v /path/to/config:/AgentDVR/Media/XML -v /path/to/recordings:/AgentDVR/Media/WebServerRoot/Media -v /path/to/commands:/AgentDVR/Commands --restart unless-stopped mekayelanik/ispyagentdvr:5.2.5.0

To remove the old unused images run: docker image prune

I may switch to the yml method but for now this works fine. Was concerned Id lose my config but all went well.
Note: the above is on the website.. but he ised ispydvragent as the container name which is wrong.. so its simply substituting the correct name.

Attachments