Input to improve network devices for Dahua cams

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Which Ubnt EdgeRouters are people using at home?

My Buffalo router flashed with Tomato running OpenVPN + Airport Extreme (wireless) + Airport Express (wifi extended) just isn't cutting it. Throughput just isn't there with this hardware anymore with my increased demand of wired & wireless devices. Recently hooked up a networked stereo receiver and I am sensing the DLNA is failing due to my aged network hardware. Also added on Insteon products.

I've been looking into Ubnt Products and thinking of getting rid of most of my core network equipment and starting over.

Thinking a Ubnt EdgeRouter + a couple Ubnt Access Points (UAP-AC-LITE) to replace my setup.

Couple ?'s
- What Ubnt EdgeRouter do you recommend?
- How is the firewall on it and can you install/run OpenVPN on it via GUI or CLI?
- How do you like the Ubnt Access Points ?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am using an EdgeRouter PoE, but I am not using the PoE capabilities of it anymore so I could use a EdgeRouter Lite just the same.. spec wise they are all just as capable.

I installed freeradius on the CLI then setup L2TP/IPSec VPN as everything has native built in clients for it, but I am pretty sure you can load OpenVPN on it too if your comfortable with the command line.

I have UniFi AC access points in my house; one on the wall here in my office.. one on the celling in the living/dining room, and another in the hallway right outside all of my bedroom doors... my main network is 5GHz only and everything on it can get 200-300Mbps minimum from anywhere in the house and roaming is perfect.

tomas21

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using an EdgeRouter PoE, but I am not using the PoE capabilities of it anymore so I could use a EdgeRouter Lite just the same.. spec wise they are all just as capable.

I installed freeradius on the CLI then setup L2TP/IPSec VPN as everything has native built in clients for it, but I am pretty sure you can load OpenVPN on it too if your comfortable with the command line.

I have UniFi AC access points in my house; one on the wall here in my office.. one on the celling in the living/dining room, and another in the hallway right outside all of my bedroom doors... my main network is 5GHz only and everything on it can get 200-300Mbps minimum from anywhere in the house and roaming is perfect.
Good info thx.

Any reason to consider the EdgeRouter X vs EdgeRouter Lite?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the X is a niche device for people deploying large Ubiquiti wireless networks; its not what you want or need for a home network router.. unless you need a router up in your attic somewhere or on the side of a fence.

a500drvr

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr. I'm a network guy like you. House has Meraki MX, Switches and AP's...tired of the cost. Would Ubiquity compare? Might start replacing some of my equipment, a lot of people talking about this equipmeny

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yep, all the features and performance without the cost.. dont get me wrong; I love cisco's gear.. but not when I'm the one fitting the bill.