Insecam Displays Unsecured Webcams From Around The World

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
An odd site called Insecam purports to display 73,000 unsecured webcams from around the world, most of them CCTV and simple IP cameras. All of the cameras have two things in common – they’re streaming on publicly accessible network ports and they are still using the default passwords, thereby allowing anyone with a web-crawling robot and the wherewithal to type admin/admin to gain access to the stream.

The site breaks the cameras down by model and location and most of the cameras are standard IP-based cameras (or banks of cameras) made by major manufacturers like Foscam and Panasonic. These “unpatched” camera lists have been around for years but this is the first aggregator that gained worldwide attention after Motherboard brought it to the fore.
http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/07/insecam-displays-insecure-webcams-from-around-the-world/

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thx I am gonna make sure I am not on there.:rolleyes: At least I am smart enough to change the default password in port forwarded cams although I know some people don't like to port forward to them at all.

i first heard about the site in September but never bothered to look into it. An article at dailymail referred to it. One guy had cams professionally installed and the installers had never changed him from default password.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
[I know this is an old thread; oh well.]
I search through there oftern, looking out for my own and try to contact those with their cameras featured.
Mostly businesses i'm able to find contact to.

Seems weird that there is no Hikvision and Dahua?