Inset lens vs level lens

Kamalas

n3wb
Reaction score

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
being inset helps reduce lens flare and fogging seen when a light hits at an extreme side angle.. usually more of a problem outdoors with the sun as its always moving until it finds that right season and time of day to cause it.. inside with all your lighting in fixed locations its easier to avoid.

I experience the problem on my south camera this time of year with the sun so low in the sky, is low enough the provided shade is no longer functional and when it hits from the side I see a foggy halo for a short time until it moves out of the way.. its a bullet so only has the shade on the top, if it was recessed it would likely never be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

iqulix

n3wb
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, you're describing the zoom lens, and both cameras appear to have similar, if not the same, 2.8-12mm zoom lens.

Zoom lenses are similar to varifocal lenses except they're electronic rather than manual. The pictures linked were taken with the lens at different focal lengths or "zoom" levels. In a zoom lens, the lens can move either further from or nearer to the image sensor for different focal lengths. The further away the lens is from the image sensor the wider the view, and the nearer the lens the closer the view. So, the first picture with the lens all the way forward (or "level" as you described) is the lens at its widest setting (2.8mm), the other picture with the lens recessed all the way back (closer to the images sensor) is the lens zoomed all the way in (12mm).