Install on a laptop with expected results

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a Lorex system and the NVR stopped working. Decided to go with BI to utilize the Lorex cameras (3 of 6). So I bought BI and installed on an i5 laptop with Windows 8. I opened the Lore NVR and took out the 2TB Purple WD and attached it to the laptop with a USB dock. Added the cameras. All is working, but as expected CPU is 90-100% all the time. Video clips are choppy, expected that as well. I don't have the coding for the Lorex LNB8005-C cameras' substream. I guess this would help.

Since I want to add more cameras, I guess my next step is a refurb Dell or HP mini tower. Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's good that you're not surprised....a throttled laptop CPU, videos to USB drive.....a refurbed Dell or HP mini tower or SFF is a terrific next step but insure it meets the min requirements here and then you optimize it as here, including use of sub streams here.

Speaking of sub streams, what are those camera model numbers?

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's good that you're not surprised....a throttled laptop CPU, videos to USB drive.....a refurbed Dell or HP mini tower or SFF is a terrific next step but insure it meets the min requirements here and then you optimize it as here, including use of sub streams here.

Speaking of sub streams, what are those camera model numbers?
Lorex LNB8005-C

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try this for sub stream:
Code:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
And this for main stream:
Code:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
You should be able to use the complete URL with VLC as well:

Code:
rtsp:/Camera-user:Camera-pass@Camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Change subtype to "0" for main stream, and of course, place 2 "/" (forward slashes) after "rtsp:"; forum software won't allow posting 2 consecutively. :cool:

Last edited:

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try this for sub stream:
Code:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
And this for main stream:
Code:
/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
You should be able to use the complete URL with VLC as well:

Code:
rtsp:/Camera-user:Camera-pass@Camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1
Change subtype to "0" for main stream, and of course, place 2 "/" (forward slashes) after "rtsp:"; forum software won't allow posting 2 consecutively. :cool:

Thanks very much. That helped a lot. 3 cameras were banging the CPU at 100% constantly. Substream coding dropped the CPU % to below 70%. This will work temporarily until I get a server setup. Still trying to understand your third line about "URL with VLC". Working on it and a lot to learn for this novice. Thanks Again!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still trying to understand your third line about "URL with VLC".
VLC is a free, very handy media player that will test URL's (Uniform Resource Locator) such as those for an IP camera's RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol).

EDIT 10/17 1704 CT: With VLC, you'd open/run VLC, go to "Media" => "Open network stream" and type in or paste the complete URL in the format I mentioned (camera user, pass, camera IP, rest of RTSP URL) with no syntax errors and if it's all correct for that camera or NVR make/model, VLC will display the live stream.

Last edited:

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
VLC is a free, very handy media player that will test URL's (Uniform Resource Locator) such as those for an IP camera's RTSP (Real Time Streaming Protocol).

EDIT 10/17 1704 CT: With VLC, you'd open/run VLC, go to "Media" => "Open network stream" and type in or paste the complete URL in the format I mentioned (camera user, pass, camera IP, rest of RTSP URL) with no syntax errors and if it's all correct for that camera or NVR make/model, VLC will display the live stream.
Yep, just figured it out. Works like a charm. Nice way to test new cameras.

Thanks Again.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a limit to HDD size on a HP EliteDesk 800 G2-SFF
i7-6700

? In other words, a refurb unit I am looking at has Windows 10 on an SSD and I would like to add a 2TB or 4TB Purple drive. On the spec sheet, I am seeing a limit of 500GB. Hopefully I am misunderstanding what it says.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is a common computer here and people are putting in larger drives than that.

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Guess what FedEx dropped off today: A HP Elitedesk 800 G2 with 8G Ram and 500G SSD i7-6700.

I will be adding a 2TB Purple WD drive. I would like to bump the memory to 16G. Is this just a matter of adding another 8GB memory card. Any recommendations on reasonable sources for memory?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Guess what FedEx dropped off today: A HP Elitedesk 800 G2 with 8G Ram and 500G SSD i7-6700.

I will be adding a 2TB Purple WD drive. I would like to bump the memory to 16G. Is this just a matter of adding another 8GB memory card. Any recommendations on reasonable sources for memory?
A 4tb drive isn't much more money. Like $20 or so.
Crucial.com

Last edited:

RavenDave

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A 4tb drive isn't much more money. Like $20 or so.
Crucial.com
Yeah, but I have the 2tb from the Lorex NVR. I will start with that. I will have 2 4tb wd reds as I am upgrading my Synology NAS. One of the 4tb reds may also end up in the BI server. I have no idea if that makes any sense or not. But I'm learning.