Installation questions.

Reaction score
So we are trying to install cameras in our riding arena to live stream the arena. With USB connection once it gets over 100ft it doesn't work. Any suggestions? Iv got on camera that works fine but as I said before it doesn't work when I need one in the opposite corner of the arena that is 200ft approximately from the PC / power source.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need a camera with POE.

Look on here for the 5442 series cameras as an example.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ to @wittaj 's response.

A USB cam is likely a "web cam", you'll want an "IP" cam that receives it's power and communicates the data over its Ethernet cable.
Known as "POE" as @wittaj mentioned, it stands for "Power Over Ethernet".
If just one camera you generally use a POE injector that plugs into 120VAC and converts it to the approx. 48 to 52 VDC to power the cam.
In the 4 twisted pair Ethernet cable, 2 pairs are for the IP cam's data and 2 pair are to supply DC power to the cam.
Insure the cam's POE spec and the POE injector are both 802.3af compliant.
Use pure copper (not CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) CAT-5e or CAT-6 cable and you should be able to power that camera easily 200 ft. from the POE injector at the 120VAC outlet.
There's a LAN port on the POE injector to connect to your network and your means of live streaming.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So we are trying to install cameras in our riding arena to live stream the arena. With USB connection once it gets over 100ft it doesn't work. Any suggestions? Iv got on camera that works fine but as I said before it doesn't work when I need one in the opposite corner of the arena that is 200ft approximately from the PC / power source.
Welcome @EllisReiningHorses

If you want to use a USB camera, you're going to need to move a computer closer to the camera .. ( you can probably use a Rasperry Pi if needed or an old laptop )

Otherwise, IP PoE is the way to go for cameras which are not mobile.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If they used a powered USB Hub or Active extension for 2.0 it can go up to 98 feet. USB 3.1 using the same can go up to 59 feet. It makes a lot more sense to use a USB to Ethernet adapter however to achieve up to 328 feet / 100 meters when the signal must be reliable.

Using certified Ethernet cable (23 AWG) you always have a baseline . . .

Buying a Saturday Night special USB cable you have no clue how thick (diameter) cable is actually present. Which obviously leads to unpredictable performance and distance.