Installing 2 HDD in optiplex elitedesk 800 g4 SFF

Firepeet

n3wb
Reaction score
This is what i read in the specs:

Hard Disk Drive:(1) 2.5 in internal storage drive
(1) 3.5 in internal storage drive (convertible to 2.5”)

You are using 2 drives of 3,5"

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is what i read in the specs:

Hard Disk Drive:(1) 2.5 in internal storage drive
(1) 3.5 in internal storage drive (convertible to 2.5”)
You are using 2 drives of 3,5"
Yea, I want to resuse the other WD purple from my old NVR.

Reaction score
Hi, is this the correct way to put two HDD in the Optiplex Elitedesk? Only small gap to put both power and SATA cables to both HDD.
Wait, which is it. An Optiplex (Dell) or an Elitedesk (HP). The picture looks like the PC I recently purchased and that is an HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF. The way you have the (2) Hard drives mounted is correct. The Spec sheet shows it will handle (2) 3.5" hard drives, and even the internal wiring inside the machine confirms this. Note this machine also can have (2) Nvme drives, and under the 3.5" HD, a 2.5" SATA drive.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Should you decide to run both those 3.5's in there I'd be sure to keep the dust out of the power supply and the CPU fan/heatsink assembly.....all those SFF PC's, both Dell and HP, can be hotboxes and depend heavily on all fans and heatsinks working well. Dust or other restrictions will impede that and we all know heat (next to shock) is a HDD's worst enemy, plus it can cause the CPU to throttle and slow down to compensate.

In the half-dozen SFF's I've built (4 are HP's) I ran a 2.5" Samsung 870 EVO SSD for the O/S and Blue Iris VMS and a 4TB WD Purple HDD for video clips. It sure created some room for the PC to "breathe" better. :cool:

Last edited:

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wait, which is it. An Optiplex (Dell) or an Elitedesk (HP). The picture looks like the PC I recently purchased and that is an HP Elitedesk 800 G4 SFF. The way you have the (2) Hard drives mounted is correct. The Spec sheet shows it will handle (2) 3.5" hard drives, and even the internal wiring inside the machine confirms this. Note this machine also can have (2) Nvme drives, and under the 3.5" HD, a 2.5" SATA drive.
My bad, typo, it should be HP EliteDesk 800 G4 SFF, thanks for correcting and confirmation.

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I used to mostly ATX tower, yea, this SFF is a tight space to work with.... I have a 4TB WD Purple now, thinking of putting in the 3TB WD Purple from my old NVR to store only recording from the IPC-Color4K-T180.

Should you decide to run both those 3.5's in there I'd be sure to keep the dust out of the power supply and the CPU fan/heatsink assembly.....all those SFF PC's, both Dell and HP, can be hotboxes and depend heavily on all fans and heatsinks working well. Dust or other restrictions will impede that and we all know heat (next to shock) is a HDD's worst enemy, plus it can cause the CPU to throttle and slow down to compensate.

In the half-dozen SFF's I've built (4 are HP's) I ran a 2.5" Samsung 870 EVO SSD for the O/S and Blue Iris VMS and a 4TB WD Purple HDD for video clips. It sure created some room for the PC to "breathe" better. :cool:

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I think you have to connect the cables before you seat the drives If I remember correctly. I have mine running 2 drives. a 5TB and an 8TB in an 80F maintenance room with 4" hot water pipes running over head. a real hot box in summer.
So far so good on throttling.
I've assigned about 2/3 of the cams to the 8TB drive, and 1/3rd to the 5 TB, (roughly)

onyxlinkia

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah I think you have to connect the cables before you seat the drives If I remember correctly. I have mine running 2 drives. a 5TB and an 8TB in an 80F maintenance room with 4" hot water pipes running over head. a real hot box in summer.
So far so good on throttling.
I've assigned about 2/3 of the cams to the 8TB drive, and 1/3rd to the 5 TB, (roughly)
Good to know!