Installing camera on a block wall

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Does anyone know if I can install a camera on a block wall and use rigid piping to go under maybe 12-18" and come back up the house wall stucco through the eaves? This is the best placement for me to get the depth and lighting so that the equipment isn't blocking the view. Thoughts on if it's up to code? Thanks.

Attachments

whatevah

n3wb
Reaction score
Code compliance will vary wildly, especially for California. Most areas don't care too much about low voltage, though. I'm a little confused about how to want to run the pipe... down the exterior wall into dirt, drill inside wall and come up through the wall cavity into the eaves? My area on the east coast would have no code issues with that, but it's a lot of work (are all of those blocks hollow?) and you'd need burial-rated cable. If you're talking about a wall mount and using the eaves, could you just use conduit dropped from the eaves? Secure to wall, terminate with junction box, mount camera to that, paint all to match the wall.

tran383

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think the latter - camera mounted on junction box down the block wall into the dirt, conduit coming back up the exterior stucco wall secure to wall going back into the eaves. The trenching into the dirt is only to hide the conduit so we don't trip over it. It's essentially a U run from wall to wall.

The other solution I was thinking that might work is if there was some extension arm wall mount with a junction box. I just need to extend the camera out about 12" for it to be ideal. Something like this but longer:

whatevah

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, I was thinking the house wall, not the other... Sorry :) what you're suggesting is fine for most of the country.