Installing cameras far from the home on outbuildings

Mrrr0809

n3wb
Reaction score
What’s the best approach for installing cameras on barns and outbuildings when they are between 350-450 feet away from the house? Ideally, I would like to get around 4-5 down there. All cameras at the house will be hardwired with PoE if that influences the decision.

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Some form of Ubiquiti Nanostation. They are good for miles on line of sight, and far simpler, cheaper and quicker than trenching. How many trees are in the way? While they run on wifi frequency ranges (2.4/5 GHz), they can handle the traffic of numerous cameras. While they have IP addresses, they are basically like an Ethernet cable to the cameras. You install a POE switch to feed the cameras and connect it back to the Nanostation. I have a pair and they work great. And, if you have more than one location you are running to, I THINK you can have one station at the house talking to several remote stations.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Reaction score
I use Ubiquiti Nanostation 5ac Loco’s to do exactly what you are wanting. They are cheap($49 ea),plenty fast and extremely reliable for any line of site link within 5-6 miles. Configure 1 as AP on your house in PtMP mode and the rest as stations

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
300_400feet.jpgView recent photos.jpg
Ubiquiti loco Nano 2.4 Ghz.....point to point.....it's been rock solid. it's sending me the feed from an Amcrest 8Ch DVR. currently a 4mp and a 2mp cam. the amcrest is Blue Iris friendly. So i can watch them, as Ch1 and Ch 2 off the same 192.168.1.207 address. Ignore the Yellow arrow. I was showing somebody the distance my PTZ can read a plate. The Loco is mounted to the Telephone pole just right of the Garage.

Last edited: