installing Hikvision cameras

Reaction score
Hi can someone tell me if they foresee any problems with using Southwire cat 5e riser cable (CMR ) 24 awg copper for Hikvision cameras on a poe system 16 channel nvr. I already started pulling this wire to the shorter runs, a total of 12 cameras. I see that the longest will be about 125 feet or so most are 85 - 100 feet. im concerned that being that these cameras are 12v cameras and not 24v is this a concern will there be enough of a voltage drop that cameras will not function over a 100 feet? cables are taking shortest path possible and they run in attic to soffits. Hikvision dome cameras, Hikvision 16 channel nvr, if this is a problem then should I pull a cat 6 with 23 awg or just go with a 24v camera? or am I fine with the wire I already started pulling? thank you Richie

Kevin_Essiambre

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pro-tip: Always pull the longest runs first. You may end up with shorter pieces that can be used for shorter runs.

As for the power and voltage drop, I'll let someone else help with that.

Sent from my new phone. Autocorrect may have changed stuff.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision cameras on a poe system 16 channel nvr.
If these are PoE cameras the working cable length with 24AWG solid copper for power exceeds that for signal - ie 100m / 330feet
im concerned that being that these cameras are 12v cameras and not 24v is this a concern will there be enough of a voltage drop that cameras will not function over a 100 feet?
Why do you think 12v features if they are PoE cameras?
PoE = Power over Ethernet

Reaction score
I just happened to read somewhere that someone had problem with cameras and they pointed out that 12v cameras are more sensitive to voltage drop then if a 24v camera system. so I started to wonder if the cameras im installing were going to be a problem. the specs on camera say they are 12v cameras.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Most Hikvision cameras can be powered either over PoE or 12v.
12v is non-preferred and probably rarely used.
You've said you have a PoE NVR. Why then would you use 12v? That makes no sense.
Check the camera labels for power requirements. See if it says 802.3af That's PoE.

Reaction score
I was under the assumption that if im buying a Hikvision nvr along with the 12 cameras that the nvr was putting out the12 volts. there was nothing in specs of the nvr about what the output voltage was. But I just need to know is the cable that I starting running is adequate and if anybody force's any problem with it.
Sorry for confusion. Yes I planned on getting and using the 16. channel NVR to provide POE for 12 Hikvision cameras I was concerned about the 24 AWG cat 5e CMR riser cable and if was good enough cable to carry the full voltage to all cameras. is this cable ok to continue running? thank you so much for your time

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
PoE supplies power at around 48v and so is at a much lower current than 12v so much less voltage drop in the cable.
Also PoE is designed to operate over a fairly wide voltage range, it's tolerant of voltage drops over long cable lengths.
The NVR is not putting out 12v.

Your cables will be fine if the cameras support PoE 802.3af.
Have you checked the labels? What do they say for power?

Reaction score
I checked and yes it does support poe 802.af. the specs may be referring to the other cord that is optional. thank you

Reaction score
I just read an email and someone was suggesting that if I want my recordings to play smoothly I may want to use a switch. if I may run this by you. I plan on using 12 cameras the length run from 85 feet to a couple at 125 to 150 feet. the cameras vary between mostly 4 mp and some are 8 mp. I am using the cat 5e cable its running in attic mostly and into soffits. they are being powered by a 16 channel NVR. the NVR is a Hikvision 4k 7616ni. Does anyone see any reason why I would need a switch added to what I plan on using? thank you