Installing Webcam Server in a business application

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All, I had a question and would love the groups opinion on steps to take forward.
I work at Illumina as a Process Engineer.
At Illumina, we are in the business of gene sequencing. We have a liquid handler machine that has many moving parts such as automated pipette asp/dsp, along with gantry robotics.
I am working on a project of establishing webcams on those liquid handler machines. I was researching different software application and found yours to be something that we wanted.
Our proposal is to put 2 webcams person instrument and we have 10 instruments for a total of 20 cameras. Each 2 cameras will be plugged into the a PC video via USB.
One of our requirements is that we want to allow for the users to stream those cameras from their desks. During our workflow we have 1-2 hour long wait times which we can use more efficiently. If we can have the user go back to their desk but still monitor the system from their desk, that is what we would be looking for.
I believe with your software, we can connect all 20 cameras via web server software. That will allow for users to walk away from the instrument and monitor the instrument from their desk.

A few questions I have.
1. Would you recommend to use an IP camera or USB? I would rather use a USB because I found the ideal camera already for our application.
2. How would I network the cameras together say is they are 2 per computer and we have 10 cameras. Can I do that with the Blue Iris application or do I need something else?
3. Any other recommendations for going about this project? Thanks.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1. IP is going to be so much easier to implement for this project, USB is going to be neigh impossible.
2. Sounds like you dont need a NVR if your not interested in recording

• many cameras you can enable a guest account, then just connect to there IP address in your browser and bang, your viewing the camera.. or put logins on if you need em..
  • just put your cameras on the local network, or a network reachable by the desks..
  • if you run your own DNS service on the network you can name the cameras so someone just types in: http://lab1cam2/ and there it is, they will require a browser plugin however.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks for your suggestion.
Would you know of some good wide angle (150-170 deg) lens IP. This is camera I was thinking but its USB. I was looking for an IP camera with the same features. ELP 170 Degree Wide Angle Webcam
We would actually like to record and would like to stream. In that case we would need a NVR? Can we do both at the same time or is it just one or the other.
As far as the DNS service, we currently have a network here, can I just use that instead? Thanks for your help!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
I found this one.. I think this can work
[h=1]D-Link DCS-960L HD 180-Degree Wi-Fi Camera[/h]

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to suggest you avoid WiFi and go with PoE IP Cameras, I believe there is a popular Hikvision model (iirc 2032) that is very easy to install all sorts of lenses on

These two combined might work, Lens is the proper mount type but likely not IR corrected so poor night performance..
http://www.amazon.com/Hikvision-DS-2CD2032-I-Bullet-Security-Network/dp/B00G7GMEOG/
http://www.amazon.com/iParaAiluRy-Replaceable-degree-camera-Gopro/dp/B00GIHSH9U

With PoE you only run one cable to each camera, it provides power over the network cable.. if you want to record then you'll want a NVR.. if you buy all the same cameras and just want to record continuously then you can get a pretty simple NVR and you can connect to it with a browser and browse through all the cams.

In IPCamera terms your lookig for 'Fisheye' camera, and because of the extreme distortion and wide angle you'll want a high resolution one for details.. 4MP seems to be a good starting point, 1080p/2MP not so much.
http://www.amazon.com/Dahua-IPC-EB5400-megapixel-Vandal-proof-Camera/dp/B016OVPX8W

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good. Thanks for your help. So to recap, I will need a WiFi, PoE Ip camera.
So we get one of these cameras, I would like to have two things.
1. Live Stream
2. Recording to some external harddirve

for 1 I can use a program like blue iris, that will have all the cameras on one program, and I was playing around with it, it seems simple enough to just connect to the IP address of that camera.
for 2, I will get a NVR to record the video. If this is true, what do you recommend to get?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no wifi, it'll never handle the number of cameras your wanting.. you get about 2 cameras on wireless before it chokes out.. everything has to have a network cable, so might as well power it with a single cable too, hence PoE

BlueIris is a Software NVR, it will record, playback and display all your cameras just like a Hardware NVR.. pick one you wont need both, if you are keen on BI the run w/it.. its good stuff.

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi Sorry, yes definitely no WiFi.
I am thinking all we need is a NVR. From the NVR we can connect (using software) and will be able to view all the cameras.
What we want, is to have live streaming and recording at the same time. I think we can accomplish that with just the NVR.
Does that sound good and something that you are thinking?
Say we get the NVR, now if I use a client computer (my computer) what software will I need to stream it?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends on the NVR, but any decent one will work with both browsers and native applications for Desktops/Mobles/Tablets.. BlueIris will, you'll have to research the NVR and see if it works for you..

are there any mac computers in your lab? I use Dahua specifically because they are one of the few with Mac software

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
No there are not. Hm I still weighting if we need a NVR or just get BlurIris software. It seems like it might be cheaper with BlueIris software.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
Blue Iris will be more flexible. you'll just need a decent PC to run it on. i7-4790 or beefier for 20 hi-rez cams.
and if you're running full frame rates (25-30 fps), you may need more than one BI server.
but could probably do it on one at 10fps or so...

with hardware acceleration enabled, my i7-4790 BI server runs ~20% CPU with 12 cams @ 10fps (total of 32MP), as an example.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree an i7-4790 and Blue Iris is probably the way to go for this. If you need fisheye cameras (about 180 degree horizontal field of view) then I can't really help you. I have never tried one. You will likely not have much success trying to swap the lenses on a camera not built for fisheye because the camera enclosures can get in the way. I say either go with the D-Link cameras or look for something that is higher resolution than 1 megapixel. Depends on how much detail you need to be able to see. You can find fisheye cameras as high as 12 megapixels but they cost a lot: http://www.nellyssecurity.com/cameras/hi-def-cameras/ip-cameras/12-mp/dahua-ipc-ebw81200-12mp-2-8-12mm-motorized-auto-focus-zoom-weatherproof-ip-camera-bullet.html

Also most fisheye cams are designed to be wall mounted or ceiling mounted. I have never seen one like that D-Link before where it can just be set on a desk.

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
Ya I am thiniking that we can do 1 computer running the Blue Iris. We do not need more than 10fps, but 1080p will be highly recommended. We have two sites, so we are thinking of doing 10 cameras on one computer and another 10 on a different one since they will be on different computers. Are there any differences from Blue Iris (or software) vs a NVR. It seems like a NVR does everything we need to, plus we do not need a "beefy" computer to record all

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
I also had a question about the NVR. Say I wasn't going to go with the Blue Iris software solution. Can an NVR do everything I ask for? Streaming, Recording and Saving. HD resolution, and at least 10FPS. I think the NVR might be a better solution because it does not require a computer "somewhat beefy" to run all the time.

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
I also had a question about the NVR. Say I wasn't going to go with the Blue Iris software solution. Can an NVR do everything I ask for? Streaming, Recording and Saving. HD resolution, and at least 10FPS. I think the NVR might be a better solution because it does not require a computer "somewhat beefy" to run all the time. What do you think?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if your going to record continuously a hardware NVR is simpler, cheaper and more power efficient.. but a 32ch hardware NVR is not nessicary cheap either.. that number of cams requires some heavy lifting capabilities any way you cut it.

this largely depends on what cameras you go with, if you were to use those DLinks id use BlueIris.. if I was going to use Hikvision cams id buy a matching NVR, same for Dahua.. hardware NVR's work best when you use matching cameras, you know they speak the same language and support the same feature sets.

I would buy a camera or two to evaluate and compare, then make a decision based upon your environment.. then get the rest of the cams and settle your NVR dilemma.. better to waste money on a single camera than a couple dozen of em.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, an NVR may be easier to set up and may do everything you need.
I've only had experience with BI, so I'll let someone who's used both chime in on which might be more suitable for you needs...

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
Sounds good, I htink I am going for an NVR with some free software, ISpy basic or some other for those who want to stream the input from their desk. That would be the most ideal situation. Not everyone is going to want to stream, but we need to have everything recorded automatically.

Gamerxx13

n3wb
Reaction score
I had a separate question. If I wanted the cameras only turn on recording when they detect motion, would that come from the camera or from the software. I am thinking the software. We think that is a possible path to purse because it will reduce hd space. Basically only record when motion is detected.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends, many cameras have enough power to do a rather simple form of motion processing internally.. BlueIris offers a far more advanced form of motion processing that does not use the cameras..

since your indoors more than likely the camera's internal motion sensing will be adequate, BlueIris's MD Algorithms are used for trying to cope with outdoor environments that are extremely difficult to work with due to there dynamic nature (Clouds/Bugs/Trees/Shade/Sun/Cars)

Another option would be get cameras that have Alarm IO inputs directly on them, if your clever enough you could wire those inputs up to your equipment its watching.. when the equipment is on and running its telling the cameras to record, when its shut off it would tell the camera to stop recording.. I dont know what your observing but if they dont move a whole lot that might be better.