Integrated Camera & Direct to Disc

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't know when this started, but I just noticed clips do not save (or show up in the clips window) when I have direct to disc selected for my Lenovo laptop integrated camera. If I switch over to re-encode, it works fine. Switching back to direct to disc results in no clips. Deleted the camera from BI and reinserted it without importing the settings....same problem. Anyone else have this problem?

Settings.PNGCapture.PNG

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
licensed or demo version of BI? DTD no workie in the demo...

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
the DTD setting says 'IP or hardware encoders only', so the built-in cam most likely isn't providing the right
sort of stream for BI to be able to dump it to disk without re/encoding...

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
the DTD setting says 'IP or hardware encoders only', so the built-in cam most likely isn't providing the right
sort of stream for BI to be able to dump it to disk without re/encoding...
I should have mentioned that it worked before, so I'm stumped as to why it's no longer working. Thanks for the suggestion though.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am 99% certain that your integrated camera is providing either a RGB or YUV stream, both of which would require encoding or else the'd suck up a ton of disk space.. there is like only a couple webcams that provide a h264 stream and I dont believe any of them are integrated into anything... they cost more than IPCameras. my wife's work laptop is a laveeno and im quite sure its builtin camera is not h264.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
ok, then. maybe something else on the PC has 'grabbed' the camera and that's why you can't access it?
Skype, for example...

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I am 99% certain that your integrated camera is providing either a RGB or YUV stream, both of which would require encoding or else the'd suck up a ton of disk space.. there is like only a couple webcams that provide a h264 stream and I dont believe any of them are integrated into anything... they cost more than IPCameras. my wife's work laptop is a laveeno and im quite sure its builtin camera is not h264.
Your details make sense, however I just don't get how I was able to use DTD before.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
perhaps it just looked like it did when it was not infact? or perhaps a new update wont allow its use with such inefficient encoding types...

if it was doing direct do disk before you'd of been using a massive amount of space to store any reasonable amount of time.

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
perhaps it just looked like it did when it was not infact? or perhaps a new update wont allow its use with such inefficient encoding types...

if it was doing direct do disk before you'd of been using a massive amount of space to store any reasonable amount of time.
Thanks Nayr; I pay close attention to my settings, so I'm almost certain I had DTD selected for some time now. I'm not one to keep much in storage, so disk space hasn't been an issue. I didn't really notice however how large those files were when DTD was working.

Two things I've done recently that I'm not smart enough to know whether or not this setting has been impacted:

1. Several weeks ago I installed the full K-Lite Codec pack.
2. A few days ago I started using MP4 rather than BVR to record videos because they're much smoother despite the drawbacks (I've tried both formats with DTD and re-encoding).

What's interesting is that although no clips are generated during motion, a thumbnail is created in the Alerts category of the clips window--in fact there's a length and size description (06sec (17K) for the thumbnail, but it doesn't play when double-clicked. It simply opens a window to a captured image.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As the posters above mentioned, even though you can select d2d it wont be using d2d..

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As the posters above mentioned, even though you can select d2d it wont be using d2d..
Ah, I hadn't considered that, or I misunderstood the folks helping me...you're saying that although BI allowed me to select DTD, BI was still encoding. $#@! :)