Intel 8700k perfect for Blue Iris?

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I just saw the release of this. Looks like a good strong processor that also comes in a non "k" variant with a lower TDP. I would think with a reasonable overclock of around 5ghz and a darn good GPU lane option that supports quicksynk that this would be an awesome processor.

How many cams at what megapixel are we thinking?

I am looking to convert a old laptop running an i7 with a 4000series GPU and pit it against my 16 core AMD server. Will be cool to see which one wins out. I just need a second Kill-A-Watt to properly do the testing.

Reaction score
The Intel parts have excellent single core performance and generally clock higher than the AMD counterparts, and with quick sync it might beat out the AMD Ryzen 7 series (apparently the Ryzen to get is the 1700, and then OC) in our kind of applications.

I was almost set on getting the "affordable" Threadripper (1900), while it has the same number of cores as the Ryzen 7's, I would be able to upgrade to the Threadripper 1950 later. Then Intel released their Kaby-X and Skylake-X CPU's (that apparently have some issues), but now the 8700K is out (if you can find it)... which means I am back to the drawing board.

As far as I can tell, the 8700K has the same integrated graphics silicon, at the same clocks as the previous generation of Intel chips, so if your configuration means that you are using quicksync extensively, then you might not see much improvement over the previous gen. I am sure it WILL be faster, but I don't think it will be 50% faster (50% more cores).

I'd be very interested in hearing about your experiences with the 16 core AMD (I guess it's a 1950), before I spring for either.

Reaction score
I am running an oc 4790k with 3 x 4mp cameras with also runs a virtual Linux distro and plex server and hit about 13%-17% Load so you will be absolutely fine with an 8700k.. I'm looking to run about 8 cameras total

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3010 using Tapatalk