Intel NUC - With TWO Ethernet Interfaces

bart

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks to networkcameracritic and his review of the Intel NUC, I was immediately glued to the idea of using the latest Intel NUC i5 mini-PC for my NVR. However, it was tough to overcome one shortcoming: only ONE gigabit ethernet interface. Actually, this isn't really a shortcoming (The NUC is nothing short of awesome). It's just what I'm used to in my current setup. Rather than using a programmable switch to create a VLAN, I'm running two separate networks. My NVR server connects to my main network with one NIC, and also connects to my cameras with a second NIC on a different network.

It's going to take a bit of modification, but I found a half-mini-PCIe gigabit-ethernet NIC on Amazon (SD-MPE24031) that works well with the NUC. I've included a picture that shows how low-profile this network interface ISN'T. But I've confirmed that it works well with this NUC and Windows 8.1, so I'm ready to solder my own wires onto it so I can make it low profile. I eventually plan on using the other mini-PCIe interface for an SSD so I can use the 2TB 2.5" HDD solely for NVR recordings, so I'll really have to make it low profile.

I'm not sure yet how or if I'll mount the RJ45 circuit board. Maybe I'll find a little project box at RadioShack (if they're still around!) with the wires coming out of the plastic bottom of the NUC. I'd rather not drill through the metal. I'll post more as I continue this project.

IMAG0041.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it'd of probably just been easier to do an NVR on a stick w/2 VLAN interfaces, there giving 10/100 Managed PoE switches away used
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-PowerConnect-2708-POE-Managed-8-port-Switch-/181519856012?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item2a436d318c

less than twice that and you have a couple gigabit ports for your NVR and a uplink to a Gigabit unmanaged switch, plus 24 PoE ports..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-Catalyst-Express-WS-CE500-24PC-24-Ports-PoE-External-Switch-Managed-/171444475716?pt=US_Network_Switches&hash=item27eae31744

I do admire your hack it in approach tho.. thats one way to go about it.. Luckilly I already have a managed switch and my NVR box right now has 3 Vlan interfaces; one for camera vlan, one for my personal vlan and the other is an external routed IP... and mine is smaller than everyones :p

Last edited by a moderator:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.