Interesting failure symptom :(

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
One of my dad's 25x 2MP PTZ cams lost signal in Blue Iris. When I try to log into the cam's web interface, it goes straight to the "Device Initialization" screen:

1654145404261.png

But filling that out and clicking Save doesn't get it past that page. The camera just returns some meaningless error code and the sloppily programmed web interface ignores the response and does nothing. So the Save button has no apparent effect.

I tried several things to get into it or recover it but all failed.

1. Deleted the Device Initialization panel to reveal the login fields below; but none of the 3 accounts I set up on all our cameras was able to log in.
2. Used the login bypass chrome extension that I created. Still fails to log in.
3. Configtool refuses to even try to initialize the camera because it is not on the local subnet (even though I have a route to it).
4. CGI API commands fail to authenticate. (Error Invalid Authority!)
5. ONVIF device manager gets a 404 response from the endpoint that is supposed to be for initial ONVIF access.

Unfortunately this cam is at a very remote site so power cycling it or accessing the reset button would take a special trip, which honestly costs probably 1/2 of the camera's value in gas and vehicle wear, and the other half of the camera's value in time.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So I guess either way a trip will be in order if you or your dad decides the cam needs to be working...either to reset/re-initialize it OR to replace it with another cam if that doesn't work.

How far away from you is this misbehaving cam?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So I guess either way a trip will be in order if you or your dad decides the cam needs to be working...either to reset/re-initialize it OR to replace it with another cam if that doesn't work.

How far away from you is this misbehaving cam?
About a 2 hour drive each way. I guess that is not bad compared to some. I'm sure it will happen sooner or later.

Tried with Windows Internet Explorer?
No I hadn't. I just tried. No difference from any other web browser though.