Interesting Observation and Question regarding Hikvision DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR

woodsie

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm working on a security camera project at work. At the end of the day I'll have up to 8 Hikvision box cameras in outdoor enclosures on the exterior of my building. I use them at home so I've decided to use them at work since I'm already familiar with Hikvision stuff.

I set up a DS-7608NI-SE/P NVR in the rack in our server closet and bought a 6MP DS-2CD4065F-A Box Camera just to get a test setup going. All the documentation I can find online says the NVR records and plays back "up to 5MP".

Well, here I am with the everything set up and the NVR is recording, playing back, and live viewing just fine at the 6MP setting (3072x2048) on my test camera. I downloaded some of the recorded video from the NVR and opened it with VLC and confirmed it was indeed 3072x2048 video. Going by the NVR specs, this shouldn't be possible. Either that or I'm not understanding correctly and I'm looking for an education from the forum.

I know that incoming bandwidth specs on the NVR is 80Mbps. Is that the REAL limitation on the NVR and is the recording resolutions listed just a bunch of BS that doesn't mean anything? As in, it'll record any resolution as long as the streams stay under the aggregate bandwidth limit?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm looking to finished out my project with 6MP or even 4k cameras if they become available in time and want to make sure I really understand how to interpret resolution limitations on Hikvision NVRs.

The question is also relevant because I've got a coworker that wants to set up a system at his house and is interested in a 7100 series NVR which advertise recording "Up to 2MP" yet he's going to have cameras will have the capability to exceed that. He's either going to get the current 3MP cameras or wait for the new 4MP ones which just started showing up on Hikvision's website.