interface lagging after updating to 5.5.3.4

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Digital zoom is kind of tricky.

There are really two ways of doing digital zoom. The most common way is to just have the video player stretch the final output to render it larger on-screen. This is what Blue Iris and/or UI3 will do if you zoom with the mouse wheel. You can improve it somewhat by going completely overboard on the bit rate in your main stream, as it preserves more of the fine pixel-level detail.

The other method, which I have only seen implemented in some PTZ cameras, is where the digital zooming occurs in the camera before the video is compressed. What actually happens is you enable digital zoom, then zoom in with the regular PTZ controls. Once the optical zoom reaches its physical limit, the camera will seamlessly transition to digital zoom. This actually yields a substantial improvement in detail capture because the compression artifacts have a much lesser negative effect on image quality.
I believe the other method you suggest with a PTZ is the digital zoom real time as it is happening correct? Like mine has a 25x optical zoom with a digital zoom after that, but that only works live and not on recorded video.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, it only works live because it happens before the video is compressed. Once the video is compressed, the fine details are already decimated and there's no getting them back.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is definitely true. I have a certain PTZ with kind of shitty API response times (makes the PTZ controls feel laggy), and it gets progressively worse the higher the frame rate is set to. 30 FPS @ 1080p makes the PTZ almost unusable. I normally ran that cam at 10 FPS as that was the best compromise.
So a few of my overview cams have a system status screen, and they call it a CPU, so that is why I was calling it a CPU, but this shows this camera running at 8192 bitrate, H264, CBR, and 12 FPS is hitting the camera processor at 47% and jumps to 70% with motion. If I up the camera to 30 FPS, the usage is in the high 90% range, but then with motion, it maxes out and would get unstable.

Or if I keep it at 12 FPS and use the camera motion detection, the CPU in the camera goes to 60% idle.

This would be nice if all cams had this so we could see how our settings impact the performance of the camera. I think running these cams close to capacity is probably harder to overcome than a computer spike at 100% CPU.

1638314925022.png