Interference on IP Cams with POE

Reaction score
I've recently installed a bunch of Hik IP cams and NVR. I ran cat6 to each camera and am providing POE through the NVR ( DS-7616NI-E2/16P). Some of the cameras are getting the horizontal hum bars. I have seen them before on analog cams due to power/grounding issues but never on IP cameras. I remade the connectors on each end and tried different POE ports on the NVR but the same few cameras have an issue.

Are there any settings on the camera that I can tweak to help alleviate the problem? Or should I run new cable? The interesting thing is the cables are all run pretty much side by side until the split to go to the drops and most of the cameras are fine. I looked around for any high power lines running next to these cameras and I didn't find any.
Here is a link to some videos showing the issue:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It is possible it is just the monitor you are viewing on? What if you view the cams through your phone?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also, assuming these are mostly interchangeable cameras (same model / lens) then you might try swapping one which exhibits the behavior with one that does not. If you want to try different cable, I recommend Ubiquiti Toughcable Carrier. It is expensive for cat5e but it is well-shielded so it might keep your power cleaner. For best use, you'll also want a pack of Toughcable connectors.

Reaction score
It is possible it is just the monitor you are viewing on? What if you view the cams through your phone?
Viewing the cams through IVMS-4200 or 4500 still show the same issue. I tried switching the monitor as well and the bars are still present.

Also, assuming these are mostly interchangeable cameras (same model / lens) then you might try swapping one which exhibits the behavior with one that does not. If you want to try different cable, I recommend Ubiquiti Toughcable Carrier. It is expensive for cat5e but it is well-shielded so it might keep your power cleaner. For best use, you'll also want a pack of Toughcable connectors.
I've tried switching the cameras out and a good camera (one that works without interference in another location) shows the interference when swapped in. I'll take a look at the Toughcable too, seems like a good fit.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
It does sound like it could be a cable/power problem. If I were you I would try a PoE switch first before running new cables. Maybe put the switch closer to the cameras to reduce the overall distance the power must travel.