Interior camera choice help and installation ideas>

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Want to place a camera inside the house in the corner of a room with a 90* field of view (of the front window of the home and front entrance). The camera would be mounted to the ceiling. Really not sure what type/style camera may be best for the mounting position, but also performance. Night vision is a must of course. Would a turret fit the bill, or a dome camera? Also don't want this to stick out like a soar thumb as well (though I think most cameras will in any manner). Which camera style would you choose and why?

Also, when mounting to the ceiling, any sort of junction box needed? Are these units light enough you can mount to the drywall, or should I put a old construction ceiling fan box and use that as a way to mount the camera?

Thanks all!

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Hikvision 2432 with 2.8mm lens, wired with PoE.
Neat and unobtrusive. Though you might want to tape up the status lights.
And it also has a PIR sensor and alarm I/O connections.
A small hole in the ceiling for the Ethernet cable.
Not heavy - the specs will have more detail on size and weight.
Sample picture of one in a room corner at the ceiling:

cam12.jpgcam11.jpg

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision 2432 with 2.8mm lens, wired with PoE.
Neat and unobtrusive. Though you might want to tape up the status lights.
And it also has a PIR sensor and alarm I/O connections.
A small hole in the ceiling for the Ethernet cable.
Not heavy - the specs will have more detail on size and weight.
Sample picture of one in a room corner at the ceiling:

View attachment 6097View attachment 6098
Interesting idea, didn't think of the little cubes. The specs say the IR is good for 10m. I think the distance from the front door to the corner of the ceiling I'd install is approximately 40' in distance. About how far do you say the IR is lighting up the room? And is the room completely dark in the example picture? Thanks!

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I had 4 of those cubes cams for two years covering most of my interior and been recommending them to all friends, but again these are two year old technology now, so I would suggest to look at the newer alternative. The new PT cams which come in two flavors 4MP & 2MP for not much more $$ and offers PT function. Both variants will offer better night time performance and possibly 2MP would be even better. In case of 24x2 cubes 1.3MP > 3MP for night time viewing.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_512_i5612.html

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
About how far do you say the IR is lighting up the room? And is the room completely dark in the example picture?
The distance from the camera to the visible door is 10m, and there is no lighting in the room.
But the far away end isn't very well lit, it's at the extreme end of usability. I used to have an IR illuminator on the shelf on the left wall, that makes a lot of difference to night time detail.

LocoRob

n3wb
Reaction score
I had 4 of those cubes cams for two years covering most of my interior and been recommending them to all friends, but again these are two year old technology now, so I would suggest to look at the newer alternative. The new PT cams which come in two flavors 4MP & 2MP for not much more $$ and offers PT function. Both variants will offer better night time performance and possibly 2MP would be even better. In case of 24x2 cubes 1.3MP > 3MP for night time viewing.

http://overseas.hikvision.com/en/Products_accessries_512_i5612.html
Looks like an interesting camera, but I can't find any online searching around, let alone even a round about price for it. Assuming you could connect a PIR sensor into the alarm input section of this camera? A PT camera you can pan and tilt remotely?