Intermittent Connection Lost on Dahua Big PTZs

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Turks and Caicos Islands, British Caribbean
Hi guys. I am having a really strange issues with one of my install sites. For some reason there are 2 of the cameras (big ptz ones) that go offline now and then and they don't come back up immediately. Sometimes they will be down for at least 2 hours or more. They are both dahua. I have also installed about 4 cheap 1080p fuluva bullet cams and they never have an issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. So the ptz are the big ones that are POE+ I just manage the network/software side of things and another company did the actual mounting and installation of the cameras. I asked him what type of injector or switch he used for the power and he said he used direct power from the light pole it was mounted on. Not familiar with poe budgets but I hope this answers what you are asking

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
If they are PoE+ (or any PoE flavor) then it can't be "direct power". There must be an injector, midspan, or PoE switch powering the camera.

These cameras have a hardline connection all the way back to the NVR or recording software? There are no wifi bridges or powerline adapters anywhere in the mix. Its straight Ethernet 100%?

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok guys let me break it all the way down. First off I should mention we are in the Turks and Caicos Islands. And the installer works for a security company who I would say doesn't have the greatest amount of knowledge with different types of IP cams. These cameras are installed at the Port Authority where i am the IT guy and the installation of the cameras went out for tender (the port is a partially government run-considered a statutory body). This particular company won the bid. I must admit I myself had no idea about the POE+ injectors as we have never used PTZs that big so we have only used regular POE injectors before. So the installer guy who is originally from the Dominican Republic figured I got to get power to this camera some how because my injectors don't work and he used the power that powers the LED lights on the Pole to power the cameras. In the Caribbean people improvise a lot because unlike north americans that can order something and have it delivered next day or so we have to wait a few weeks. So i'm almost 100% sure there was some stripping of wiring and direct power integration into the LED light power. Guys I am now wondering if this would damage the cams? Would this be too much power? And for the other question we have fibre setup for the long runs and the shorter is cat6.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, I'd guess power problems caused by the installer. Yes, it's possible it damaged the cam.
Some PTZ cameras can be powered by an included 24v transformer. Some require POE-High power supplies.
If you can give use the make and model of the Cams, we could help further possibly.
You will need to investigate what he did to power the cams.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm still not sure how you are powering them. PoE+ devices are 57VDC. I'd doubt the LED lights are fed by that.

At any rate, first order of business is to check the power feeding them.

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yep, I'd guess power problems caused by the installer. Yes, it's possible it damaged the cam.
Some PTZ cameras can be powered by an included 24v transformer. Some require POE-High power supplies.
If you can give use the make and model of the Cams, we could help further possibly.
You will need to investigate what he did to power the cams.
We have 14 of these
SD6AL245U-HNI-IR

and 10 of these
SD49225T-HN

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Both of those cameras have two options for power input: PoE+ or an external transformer. First camera you listed can be powered by 24VAC transformer while the second one can be fed by 12VDC transformer. Since you say the installer said there is no switch/midspan/injector, that leads me to believe they are being powered by transformers.

First order of business is probably to check/replace the transformers. I’d also move the patch cable that runs to those cameras to a different switch port to make sure you don’t have a faulty port.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Turks

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Dam you guys know your stuff and apparently so did the installer :) one of my techs was just on site and got a closer look. Just as you guys are saying he used a transformer! The next issue my tech saw was that even though they have the fibre run they aren’t being used and the guy used cat6. The distance is in my opinion over 300ft so this could be cause for the dropping out. Anyhow the guy I have helping me with this was away for a while due to him and his wife having another baby. So glad he’s back because he is way more knowledgeable with the IP cams! Thanks for all your help and I’ll be back as there is always some type of issues to be dealt with!

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

Use this injector to power the ptz, normal POE+ switch not work well with these big hi-poe ptzs.
49225 can use normal power.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The distance is in my opinion over 300ft so this could be cause for the dropping out.
Could be, but the symptoms sound to me more like power than a slightly-too-long Cat 6 run. A marginal cable would, IMO, more likely cause more frequent, and shorter-lived issues. Besides: The limit is 328 ft. (100 meters) and, IME, you can even go a bit over that and still get error-free performance if it's good cable and it was properly installed. (I used only Belden DataTwist when I did this as part of my job.)

If y'all are doing this kind of thing professionally, you really ought to have something like one of these: Fluke Networks CableIQ™ Qualification Tester. You shouldn't be guessing. You know know.