Intermittent (irregular) loss of NVR time and start-stop of NVR recording

aster1x

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have been operating a 7604NI-SEP with FW 3.0.9 and one 2CD2332 camera with FW 5.1.6 (both items been european with no fimware patches) for 6 months now with no serious problems apart from the following. The system is operating completely unattended with nobody operating the NVR interface (there is no monitor connected to the NVR either). I acces the NVR web interface remotely through the LAN and I only receive the motion alert emails and check them every day. The camera is connected to the PoE internal switch and the NVR records continuously.

In the past six months, I had 3 occasions where the NVR had lost completely the time synchronisation and both the internal hard disk drives had stopped at various instances to record, thus the recording timeline had recording gaps. I notice when this happens whenever the time of dipatching the motion alert email is different from the time recorded in the picture capture and attached in the email. Then I log in remotely (through the LAN) to the NVR web interface and the interface response is sluggish. When I check the clock of the NVR at the web configuration interface is off by several hours and both hard disk drives have gone into sleep mode, thus they are not recording. At the log there are entries that the hard disks are stopping and starting randomly, but there is no log entry related to clock or anything else to indicate other malfunction.

When I remotely reboot the NVR, everything comes back OK. The interface is responsive, the clock is synchronised properly with the NTP server defined, the hard disks are recording OK, everything is OK. It seems like the occasional Windows hangups or the windows Blue Screen of Death!!! Most linux boxes are supposed to be a lot more stable, in general.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?