Intruder this morning

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My coffee this morning rudely interrupted when a "motion detection" window pops up on the screen, an intruder sneaking about in the dark out back.

I wasn't dressed to go outside yet so I yelled out my back door "get the f@#! away from them cars back there" and you can see his reaction. (sound is "on")

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score

could be an option :)

How much money waste on ammo ? who cares :D
Yea his willingness to hang around after finding the camera and to see if anyone was watching the live feed or not, or figure out if the cameras work or not is what got me.
Had I known that I would have handled it a little different, the next thing he'd had heard was a 12gauge pump action racking one into the chamber, me standing in the field with him after slipping out there quietly.

I didn't really notice that until I watched the playback after going out there to make sure he was gone. I was kinda scrambling little bit undecided what to do about it at first. Then decided to just yell out the door would work not thinking at the time he'd intend to hang out even after finding cameras.

He'd been belly down on the cold wet ground waiting for the law to arrive instead had I noticed his true intentions.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That is a T5443T-ZE but yes it is running on auto settings, i bought a different one for that spot so just left it on auto until the swap.

The gray escape is 86 feet from the camera, he never got close enough to get a good look at his face. A tad deceiving in the video but he never gets inside of 40 feet from the camera. 36 feet to the grain on the ground between the camera and the little pile of wood. The camera is zoomed to about a 1/4 of its range.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
AN auxiliary IR mounted slightly away from the camera would help a lot as well.
Yes I'd like to but the issue back there is power. The two cameras back there now are on a single cat6 that is 385' long. A POE splitter on it with a short cable to cam 1 and 130' cable over to cam 2. I haven't tried it yet but I'm thinking that is a long ways to push 12v for IR of any significance on them little wires? The nearest 120v outlet is 150 feet away from cam 1 and in part reason I went with POE cam to start with, one cable and at the time one camera lol! At night the cams draw around 19.6 watts according to the switch of the 31watts max per port if it read that correctly.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I wouldn't load that any more. Pull a second CAT, or better yet two so you have a spare. Alternately add a regular old PoE switch at that available power source and use CAT from there.
Yea I have to come up with a final plain and then buy cable. The cable I bought cost almost as much as the camera did, knowing what distance I'd be running I didn't buy cheap cable.
One large dead limb, one fairly good size tree falls....I gotta buy and string a new cable. Having to do 2 or 3? I'd probably cry a little bit!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You could also use a dedicated RF link to get to that outlet. That would remove at least that part of the cable The best way to buy cable is in bulk, 500 or 1000 feet. If you're running it outside make sure it is rated for outside, UV rated.

xplorer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Wow the "likes" poured in, wasn't expecting that many thanks everyone glad you enjoyed it.

You could also use a dedicated RF link to get to that outlet. That would remove at least that part of the cable The best way to buy cable is in bulk, 500 or 1000 feet. If you're running it outside make sure it is rated for outside, UV rated.
Line of sight is problematic from here to that outlet, no clear shot.

Tried wireless from that outlet to where cam 1 is in the field but still needed power out at the cameras location. Had 12v power cables daisy chained together and not weather tight. (Utilizing what I had on hand for testing) worked but wasn't happy and still needed a "wire". Figured screw it if I'm gonna run a wire for a camera back there its going to have to be POE.

I bought a roll of cat6 said it was sunlight, dirt, snow, moisture and direct burial with/without conduit. Doubt it's all "that" but it should last for a few years short of a tree falling on it!