Inverted reflection

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
This is a common issue with bright light sources, and as noted by someone else above, it is the same issue that causes lens flare in general photography. It is just unusual for there to be this many sources of lens flare in one scene.

Interesting fact: If you draw a line between each reflection and its source, the lines all cross through the center of the lens and are roughly equal length on each side of the lens center. This will still be true if you aim the camera differently, which is why you can't actually eliminate the reflections just by moving the camera, until you've moved the house fully out of view that is.

View attachment 170943

I suspect that, if a polarizing filter would help at all, it might have to be installed closer to the sensor. Behind the cover glass or maybe even behind the lens. It could depend on where exactly in the optical stack the light is becoming polarized (IF IT EVEN IS POLARIZED!). I'm sure an optics expert would know more, but that isn't me.
That's... Very interesting - thanks for that! LOL So I can TRY a polarizing filter, but basically - drop the gain, tweak the pic, and deal with it, which is exactly what I'm going to have to do.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Shallow - you mean very close to the camera lens itself?
How far it sticks out within view of the lens. Think of looking down a tube. The more there is sticking out, the more you'll see. So you need something that fits relative flat.

But I just realized that you're trying to do this with bullet cam. Might be easier in that case. At least to try. I don't have that cam to look at but maybe cut a piece of the film sized to just press-fit and catch enough to hold it inside the edge of the square lens opening. Or tape it just to try and go from there.

Thorby

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah gotcha. Yeah - looking at the front, I can just set something in there.

1693175535688.png