IP adres and Reolink camera

vidicam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
good day everyone,

A question about IP numbers and access from outside in the own LAN network.
When I install a camera in my own LAN network, I set the IP number and password of my camera to be able to see this camera in my network.
I can't access this camera from outside with an app on my phone.
I then have to enter the IP number of my modem in my telephone App and assign a port on my modem to enter my LAN network from outside.
I recently started using a Reolink camera and to my surprise I was able to access this camera from outside without having to set anything.
How is this possible? I have not entered an IP address of my modem and I have not opened a port.
What I did see is that this camera uses a DNS number, which number connects to a server somewhere in the country.
So apparently this camera uses a Cloud like all those camera doorbells do.
I wonder how safe is this? after all, they come straight to you without any extra security.
Who can explain that to me well.
Greeting,
adrie

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is possible because Reolink caters to the consumer market that wants that. It has P2P and your cameras and IP address are accessible to the world.

If possible, return them LOL.

Read the wiki above on how to secure your system.

vidicam

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
good day everyone,

A question about IP numbers and access from outside in the own LAN network.
When I install a camera in my own LAN network, I set the IP number and password of my camera to be able to see this camera in my network.
I can't access this camera from outside with an app on my phone.
I then have to enter the IP number of my modem in my telephone App and assign a port on my modem to enter my LAN network from outside.
I recently started using a Reolink camera and to my surprise I was able to access this camera from outside without having to set anything.
How is this possible? I have not entered an IP address of my modem and I have not opened a port.
What I did see is that this camera uses a DNS number, which number connects to a server somewhere in the country.
So apparently this camera uses a Cloud like all those camera doorbells do.
I wonder how safe is this? after all, they come straight to you without any extra security.
Who can explain that to me well.
Greeting,
adrie
Thank you for your reply
What I would like to know how it works technically.
because I still don't know
Here in the Netherlands you see a lot of those WIFI doorbells which also work in the cloud.
All these people would know that they are giving unsolicited permission to access their LAN network.
Is there no one to send out a warning?

Regards

Adrie

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
People want convenience over security - it is easier to scan a QR code than to setup a secure platform. Companies know that and exploit that easy option.