IP based PTZ camera

cdawley4

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,
I bought a couple of sub $100 ptz cameras from Amazon. One is a Euki, the other is a Zumimall.

Both of them connect to my wifi network and use CloudEdge app to control them.

My problem is with either camera, when I position them in place, about a few days to a week later, they feel they have to recalibrate themselves and put themselves in the “new in box” state.

I can pan and tilt them back to where they need to ne, but every few days, they will reset back to nee in box state.

Also, when trying to pan and tilt them, their motor seems to want to take it past where I want them positioned, which also puts them into the “new in box” state.
I’m guessing that is the camera doing its calibration process?

I don’t see anything in the cloudedge app that would cause that scenario to happen.

Not exactly sure what that is actually called either.

sorry in advance if my terminology isn’t correct or if I posted in wrong forum.

Thank You,
Chris

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You get what you pay for, especially with PTZ cams. Stick with Dahua or Hikvision ptz cams, not no name cheap cloud based cams. They will almost always cause you grief.
Does it have a solar panel that it runs on, that is probably the problem, it looses power and resets its self.
Being cloud based puts your entire network at risk of being hacked.
Wifi is terrible for security cameras, it can be easily overwhelmed by the cameras data streams.
Use a proper wired POE based camera.

Reaction score
You get what you pay for, especially with PTZ cams. Stick with Dahua or Hikvision ptz cams, not no name cheap cloud based cams. They will almost always cause you grief.
Does it have a solar panel that it runs on, that is probably the problem, it looses power and resets its self.
Being cloud based puts your entire network at risk of being hacked.
Wifi is terrible for security cameras, it can be easily overwhelmed by the cameras data streams.
Use a proper wired POE based camera.
New here but I'd argue that depends on specific needs. I use zumimall in a stray cat house w out issue other than stuff that's w existing signals, but nothing that can't be handled. Both have cloud turned off w 128gb SanDisk.

Both on the supplied solar panels.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Screenshot_20220903-122628_ZUMIMALL.jpg

Reaction score
Seems 2022 upgraded models.

2K Solar Security Camera, ZUMIMALL Outdoor Camera Wireless, 3MP Solar Powered Cameras, Outside Battery Powered Surveillance Camera, Night Vision, Motion Detection, IP66 Waterproof, 2.4G WiFi
Screenshot_20220902-165756_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

cdawley4

n3wb
Reaction score
Same here. The camera that is giving me problems is one made by Euki.

I also bought a Zumimall that has a 128GB sd card with clou storage turned off and using solar panel.

That camera seems to be working great.

I’m thinking there is something wrong with the Euki camera, either the camera itself or the app.

So far, the Zumimall app hasn’t given me problems like theCloud Edge app.

Glad to hear there is someone else out there using Zumimall cameras for home security.

Reaction score
Same here. The camera that is giving me problems is one made by Euki.

I also bought a Zumimall that has a 128GB sd card with clou storage turned off and using solar panel.

That camera seems to be working great.

I’m thinking there is something wrong with the Euki camera, either the camera itself or the app.

So far, the Zumimall app hasn’t given me problems like theCloud Edge app.

Glad to hear there is someone else out there using Zumimall cameras for home security.
You will see an issue of them maybe not waking from extended sleep w no detection for a good while sometimes. But that's it and easily handled until a new firmware push.

As for home security, I bought 2 cams for a stray cathouse outside my home, and only went w zumi bec of Amazon pricing at $60 a hit, but either way I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
People usually stop in here after buying Over-promised and under-delivered stuff on Amazon.
If it's for a hobby and you can live with the wrinkles, thats fine.
If your expecting it to do security work, thats gonna be a problem.

Reaction score
People usually stop in here after buying Over-promised and under-delivered stuff on Amazon.
If it's for a hobby and you can live with the wrinkles, thats fine.
If your expecting it to do security work, thats gonna be a problem.
And these cameras are still fine for security work. Just because they're in a cat house doesn't mean they're any less secure lmfao

In the end each to their own, but alot of ppl after reading here. Other sites as well, seem heavily on forgetting some of us budget shop or are fine not buying Sony for the guy that has to have a name brand or nothing at all

Also I never said I had any wrinkles other than one thing that's fixed by a firmware push. Show me 1 camera that doesn't have any firmware issues at any given time lol

I'll wait... one that accepts firmware and not an old Nikon.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The point people are trying to make is that there are plenty of budget cams out there that don't rely a cloud server or P2P or QR codes to work...if your camera needs to access the internet to work, then it is hackable and the hackers don't care about your cat video - they use that device to then use your system in a DDoS attack or worse steal your banking info. That is the whole point.

Reaction score
And clearly you've never worked IT or systems admin lol

OK, I'm out... don't wana be the new guy pissing in some senior members Wheaties

If you have to have wired bec you're a ditz (generalized you), that's a human problem. Not equipment.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Who said anything about wired?

Plenty of people here are running cams wireless without them exposed to the internet...

A wifi camera that needs internet access to work is a problem.

There are ways to make a wired camera wireless that is much better than a true wifi camera that connects to a consumer router. So yes I do agree with you on the equipment part....

Clearly you miss the whole part about cameras phoning home and the concern, which should be a basic concept to understand for someone in IT....

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, but just because "someone works in IT" doesn't mean diddly. That's proven all the time.
We base our advice on hundreds of members real experiences.
You mean like the ones we have seen that start their post with "I am an IT manager" and then doesn't understand basic networking IP addresses and subnets and VPN. Or the one that didn't know how to manually change the IP address of a computer LOL

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly.
I hear stories from others all the time, that have to tolerate dealing with IT departments and problems it causes' the poor smo in the trenches, because the IT guy didn't understand squat about how the equipment is used on a daily basis.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This is always a good read of the incompetence of an IT guy LOL (one of many examples here):

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or the ones I've seen here argue that there was nothing wrong with port forwarding in a business environment.

I have a relative that does a job that requires that the cell phones and laptops need to be encrypted and along with any network connections.
They were recently issued new Iphones and laptops by the IT dept, and......no one could log in with their secure smart cards access equipment. And it took 3 weeks for it to be resolved.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Sounds like the Op would be better off with static cams if he has it returning to a home position.
at the end of the day, my Ptz's are looking at one location where they can be most effective.

PatPend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
As a rule I avoid anything with goofy brand names that sound like they were generated by an algorithm from comp sci 101, especially when the same thing is sold under a dozen other similarly goofy brand names.