IP Cam keeps disconnecting from the network

Santy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a fairly old IPCAM from zmodo (ZMODO ZP-IBI13-W) and i am using the Synology Surveillance Station client to record it's images, but it keeps disconnecting from the network. When i want to make it work i have to take the camera, plug it in to my switch, connect to my pc, and configure the networking manually to a static address (outside of the DHCP interval i set up on my router) and in like a 3 or 4 days it just randomly disconnects and never gets connected to my wifi. It is on a rough place to route an ethernet cable to it, also kinda difficult to install a powerline there. I don't know if i'm messing something up, or if the camera is just bad.
Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

ajwitt

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is the wifi name hidden? My neighbor had a Zmodo camera (not sure what model) and his would drop out like that until he made with wifi name public.

Santy

n3wb
Reaction score
Is the wifi name hidden? My neighbor had a Zmodo camera (not sure what model) and his would drop out like that until he made with wifi name public.
Thanks for your reply, and no, the name is not hidden, i can find the network in new wifi devices, and SSID broadcast is on. Just checked.
Edit: The camera was losing connection several times a day, and i thought it was maybe bad wifi coverage, but my dad said that the electrical connection to there could be bad, but the camera has power every time i see it (i can see the IR leds) is it possible that with many disconnections to the power, or longer ones, it loses the WIFI connection details to connect to the network?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WIFI is not for security and surveillance cameras. Your neighbor turns on the roku TV and the camera disconnect, turn on the microwave will cause it to disconnect. A kid drives down the street with a jammer and it disconnects. The behavior you are see for a wifi camera is normal, except that it should reconnect if you have a quality camera and a quality recording system.

Santy

n3wb
Reaction score
WIFI is not for security and surveillance cameras. Your neighbor turns on the roku TV and the camera disconnect, turn on the microwave will cause it to disconnect. A kid drives down the street with a jammer and it disconnects. The behavior you are see for a wifi camera is normal, except that it should reconnect if you have a quality camera and a quality recording system.
Yeah i know that signal loss is expectable, specially with a camera this cheap. Maybe i should look for a new camera, since wiring it is not a good option.
By the way, is there a specific area on this forum to ask for advice on what to buy?

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera can be made into a wireless camera and have relatively good security with no signal drops. Look at a quality camera and a Ubuiquity Nano Station Loco. The can be bought in pairs and preconfigured to act as a wireless bridge that is encrypted. It does require power to operate both the camera and Nano Station though.

Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5

25X PTZ

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Santy

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm just looking for a plug and play option basically, something that works out of the box that just needs power and i can connect it up to my wifi and make it work on my NAS.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
That won't happen. WiFi is just not reliable enough, or built for, video surveillance traffic. I hate discouraging you, but the number of people that want that, have tried, have wasted money and eventually installed something either wired or with a real, dedicated, wireless link will attest to it.