IP Cam Talk Custom Community DeepStack Model

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@105437 I've found using the main stream to be counterproductive when using DS. YMMV
So if you send main stream images to DS it will have to work harder to downsize the image before it tries to detect the object. The only benefit is the image that BI save for the alert will be at the higher resolution.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've just found, empirically with experience over time, that using the main stream results in lower detection rates and timeouts at times. Using the sub stream works well for me on all the cameras I have DS running on. The jury is still out a little on that, though. I just added a VTO-220 on a test burn in. The sub stream resolution is so low that it's basically not useable for me so I've only enabled main stream. The main stream is relatively low resolution as well, but so far it's work well. Once it's installed in its' "real" location, rather than sitting on a shelf in my office, I'll find out more in that regard.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've just found, empirically with experience over time, that using the main stream results in lower detection rates and timeouts at times. Using the sub stream works well for me on all the cameras I have DS running on. The jury is still out a little on that, though. I just added a VTO-220 on a test burn in. The sub stream resolution is so low that it's basically not useable for me so I've only enabled main stream. The main stream is relatively low resolution as well, but so far it's work well. Once it's installed in its' "real" location, rather than sitting on a shelf in my office, I'll find out more in that regard.
I just did a test setting my sub stream to VGA 640 x 480 and the accuracy is the same as before sending 1080P images the speed dropped from ~75ms to ~45ms.

1639684682263.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
@MikeLud1 I was outside splitting wood and thinking about main versus sub streams. It occurred to me that my sub streams are all set at 1080P, 2MP, with bit rates around 1592. That may explain my results.

MikeLud1

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For people that are using the CPU version of DeepStack please post you detections time before the new custom models and after. I am curious to see how much the new models are helping with the detection times. From some posts the speed increase looks to be about 7 to 10 times faster.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
My wife just arrived. It's dark outside and none of the 5 cameras along the driveway identified her car. I'm running Combined and Dark with 70% confidence. I ran several of the clips using "Analyze with Deepstack" under "Testing & Tuning" and every clip showed multiple confirmations of a car in the 90% range. Any idea why it didn't confirm and trigger?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd drop confidence to 40% on those cameras, especially for night detection even with dark.pt in the mix. If you look at the screen shots I posted, the second screen shot is night parameters that I use, and work in pretty difficult circumstances, work well here.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd drop confidence to 40% on those cameras, especially for night detection even with dark.pt in the mix. If you look at the screen shots I posted, the second screen shot is night parameters that I use, and work in pretty difficult circumstances, work well here.
Perhaps but the testing showed multiple hits over 80%. Just trying to understand what happened.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The "Analyze with Deepstack" under "Testing & Tuning" will ALWAYS perform better than live as it is after the fact and should not be used as an analysis tool to try to figure out why it didn't see a car or person. It should only be used to see what DeepStack can find in that clip, like "hmm I wonder if DeepStack can find a toothbrush" and then walk around with a toothbrush and have it identify it. I can run this on a camera not using Deepstack and it will show EVERYTHING that Deepstack has in its objects to find that it sees in the clip.

You need to use the .DAT file analysis that shows how DeepStack responded and behaved live. You have to tell it under AI for the camera to check the Deepstack analysis option. Only then can you start to figure out why it missed these events.

I agree, drop the % confidence - do you want it to find it or not? Having it at 70% and missing doesn't do you any good. Drop it down until you start getting false. I have all of mine low and never get a false.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The "Analyze with Deepstack" under "Testing & Tuning" will ALWAYS perform better than live as it is after the fact and should not be used as an analysis tool to try to figure out why it didn't see a car or person. It should only be used to see what DeepStack can find in that clip, like "hmm I wonder if DeepStack can find a toothbrush" and then walk around with a toothbrush and have it identify it. I can run this on a camera not using Deepstack and it will show EVERYTHING that Deepstack has in its objects to find that it sees in the clip.

You need to use the .DAT file analysis that shows how DeepStack responded and behaved live. You have to tell it under AI for the camera to check the Deepstack analysis option. Only then can you start to figure out why it missed these events.

I agree, drop the % confidence - do you want it to find it or not? Having it at 70% and missing doesn't do you any good. Drop it down until you start getting false. I have all of mine low and never get a false.
Thanks, I need to read up on how to use the .DAT file to see what DS saw.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just check the box labeled "save deep stack analysis details" in the AI config of the camera(s). Use file explorer to find the file in the directory you're saving alerts in. Drag and drop into the deepstack tab of the BI status console. Be aware that it can add up to a lot of files very quickly.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I need to read up on how to use the .DAT file to see what DS saw.
Open up the BI status page and then there is a DeepStack tab. Open that tab and then minimize that screen.

Then open up the cancelled alert. Once it starts playing, pause it and then open up the minimized screen and it will show all the details on when and what it looked for.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Open up the BI status page and then there is a DeepStack tab. Open that tab and then minimize that screen.

Then open up the cancelled alert. Once it starts playing, pause it and then open up the minimized screen and it will show all the details on when and what it looked for.
Based on looking at the .DAT file, it looks like my + Real-time images setting was too low. I had it set to 10 and every 500ms. I think it finished checking before the car was in the frame.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Based on looking at the .DAT file, it looks like my + Real-time images setting was too low. I had it set to 10 and every 500ms. I think it finished checking before the car was in the frame.
That will do it. One way to force it to run thru all the images is to put an object in the to cancel box - like a banana - it will then run thru each image. But depending on your computer, use this sparingly as it will start to drive up CPU % and make times. But if you have one problematic field of view, this works very well!

I use it on my cams at night to ID cars that were getting missed due to headlight shine on the pavement triggering it early.