Ip camera configuration vs IVMS-4200 vs NVR vs DVR and combinations?

Reaction score
Hi new to the forum and IP cameras. I had a Geovision PCI card with 8 analog cams up till now...
So wow I just purchased a 12meg fisheye camera. It probably overkill for home use but I am a bit like that. If you are gonna do it... do it
Hangzhou Hikvision Digital Technology Co. Ltd..
I originally set it up to work with the ivms-4200 software on a PC but ran into issues with gmail, I was able to get the mail working by doing all the configuration on the IP cam itself... after I found an old computer that still had IE11 installed... and now I am thinking on pulling the trigger and getting 3 more IPcams for the other 3 sides of the house. What I am wondering is should I get a DVR an NVR or are there ways to get the ivms-4200 software to co-operate with gmail? (I have already tried all published methods), the only way i can get email alerts is if I set it up on the cam itself.
So what is the difference between a DVR vs NVR.
Will I get the same resolution as I am getting on the ivms-4200 software or better or worse? when they say it can stream up to 6 meg... what does that mean? I have a 12 meg camera and about to add 3 more.. is that enough?