IP Camera for the UK?

Southside

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys

So I'm looking to make a saving and buy some Hikvision cameras (x4) from China but I'm worried about all this issue not being able to upgrade the firmware, should I be worried or concerned? I'm going to buy a Hikvision NVR too so any recommendation on trusted sellers would be greatly appreciated.

Also anybody on here from the UK brought any cameras? I would like to know your experiences!

Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Chinese cameras can't have their firmware upgraded. Also you could end up with firmware mismatch with your NVR (although this is less likely nowadays). I used to buy from AE but recently have stopped because the saving isn't what it was and you have no worthwhile guarantee.

If you like to tinker and don't care about firmware updates then that's the only time you should go get them from China.

Southside

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Del Boy for the reply.

If buying in the UK, who would you recommend and what brand? I'm looking for an ip setup, 4 cameras plus NVR.

Thanks

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Although I'm steering further towards Dahua these days, if you are a noob and already done research then going with Hikvision is better than going for some complete rubbish. The software is still really great and it's very easy to setup. I would do turrets over bullets which do cost a little more but the IR is better and don't attract spiders as much which is an issue.

Something like 4 x DS-2CD2342WD-I and 1 x DS-7604NI-E1/4P. Just need a WD Purple HDD from amazon and some Cat5e outdoor cable also from amazon plus a crimp tool and some RJ45 plugs. (I'm assuming you have a drill and screwdriver!).

Last edited by a moderator:

Southside

n3wb
Reaction score
still very expensive .....
If you were to go AE, which brand and seller would you use? still want to go ip :)

Also would you consider a HD-TVI system or would that only be if you had the cables already run?

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
still very expensive .....
If you were to go AE, which brand and seller would you use? still want to go ip :)

Also would you consider a HD-TVI system or would that only be if you had the cables already run?
Do not go for HD-TVI stick to IP unless you are on a mega budget and then 1080p AHD is better than complete analog crap.

You could get Dahua from AE. Buying local is not going to be as cheap as China prices because VAT and Duty and DHL costs etc are already included. There's also a premium for non-Chinese cameras and then there's the Hikvision official distributor mark-up too. Like I said, I used to go AE but has become more difficult, I still would do AE for Dahua at the moment but you need to fully understand the risks before proceeding, that's why it's cheaper. If you are happy with that then look at Dahua 4421C.

Southside

n3wb
Reaction score
What NVR would you recommend to go with the Dahua's? I'm looking at a 4ch system.

Thanks