IP Camera offline after powering down

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was perusing my Asus router logs and found that there is a mac address constantly trying to connect, authorizes, then deauthorizes.

I looked online for what the vendor of the MAC address is and it says "Tuya Limited" from China....I found some info about TUYA that seems to indicate that they deal with smartphone apps etc.

In a effort to isolate the device causing this log error, I started shutting stuff down.

That included my Netgear GS308PP POE switch that connects my 3 cameras (two brillcam cameras -- one of which is POE and the other is powered seperate and connects from an out building via a ethernet-over-power adaptor....and a DLINK PTZ camera also on that ethernet over power adaptor. The brillcams have been working flawlessly for months, the DLINK goes down once a month and needs powercycled, but no biog deal (its very old). My cameras are on their own network (dual NIC setup) on the BI box.

After powering stuff back up,, the Brillcam POE camera outside doesn't want to connect ("no signal" message in BI). The other two are fine.

I get color bars when I try and "restart" it thru BI.....for a couple seconds, then the "no signal" message again. I also tried going right to the IP address via a web browser.

Have tried changing the physical port on the switch I am using, no change. The port on the switch has the POE green light on, but the data light is blinking yellow. So there is a fault in the data side, right?

Any ideas? Could my shutting it down earlier have caused it to die? I know that soemtimes stuff will sometimes give up the ghost when power cycled afetr running "forever" (a year or two in this case).

Dammit.....its bad enough I found that MAC address issue while trying to figure out ANOTHER device's issues (a Brightsign device)......now THIS. LOL

I broke the hypocratic oath to "do no harm" and broke my camera!!!!! :(

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It could very well be as you said and power cycling it was enough to break something.

Or maybe the camera is not a static address or it factory reset and now you can't find it because you are going to an IP address that doesn't exist?

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It could very well be as you said and power cycling it was enough to break something.

Or maybe the camera is not a static address or it factory reset and now you can't find it because you are going to an IP address that doesn't exist?
The camera is (was) setup as a static IP as are my others.....

The factory reset is what I am clinging to....

Dumb question -- in the dual nic setup you helped me with, the three cameras are on a switch on that second NIC, isolated from the interweb.....

IF the camera did default to its facvtory settings, should I be able to access it with its factory IP address if I keep it plugged into that switch from my BI box browser? I am thinking NOT,....thats the idea behind isolating teh camera to begin with....

If not I will need to move the camera to a web-accessible switch I guess? That will make it difficult without going up a ladder in the snow and pulling it down.....

I only have the one line running to the bI box location for web. Nothing to plug into to get web taht doesnt go thru the second camera NIC/switch setup....all neatly loomed and wire tied into place..... LOL

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as you're on the machine with the dual NICs you can access the camera no matter what the IP may be, assuming you know what the IP actually may default to. That also assumes that the switch is a "dumb" switch with no VLANs assigned on a per port basis.

Next time you hit something like this, device you want to find, just note the MAC address, then look at the list of connected devices in the router. The MAC addresses should be displayed there as well. No need to power things on and off at all.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks

FWIW the brillcam is not in my router network map anywhere right now (nor is that funky MAC address I was talking about earlier)....

So I disconnected my other two cameras from the POE switch, disconnected the cable connecting it to the camera nic....then.....took the internet cable from my BI box, plugged that into the switch and left the malfuntioning camera plugged into the switch.

Used a different computer on my network to try the camera default IP address......which is 192.168.1.188 (that is the briillcam default setup IP)

When i set up my router and cameras, I had changed the third number in my LAN internet IP to a different number than "1"......all my PCs etc use that 3rd number, looking in my router.

So how do I get the camera to connect o the proper IP address? if that "1" is part of the default camera IP address? Or should it just work anyways?

I know this is probably an dumb/newbie question.....but I am asking cause I do not want to screw anything else up today..LOL

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
As long as the computer and the camera are plugged into the same switch you should be able to access the camera. There is a caveat, though. The computer needs to be on the same subnet as the camera. If the camera is 192.168.8.xx the computer needs to be 192.168.8.xx with different numbers in each case to replace the "xx".

From there you need to get into the GUI of the camera and configure a static IP on the network you actually want the camera to be on normally.

Incidentally, the actual IP address you're using can be entered here with no problems. We're all using the same 192.168.x.x network schemes because they are "public". The only IP address that needs to be kept hidden is you WAN IP address since that will lead directly back to your network from the rest of the world. I keep a spreadsheet of what IP addresses are assigned to each camera, and other devices, on my network just to make it easy.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As long as the computer and the camera are plugged into the same switch you should be able to access the camera. There is a caveat, though. The computer needs to be on the same subnet as the camera. If the camera is 192.168.8.xx the computer needs to be 192.168.8.xx with different numbers in each case to replace the "xx".

From there yu need to get into the GUI of the camera and configure a static IP on the network you actually want the camera to be on normally.
But if the subnet of the PC is set at the router level, how does that work without breaking stuff?

BUT---update -- here is what is nuts.

I just switched all the cabling back to exactly where it all was before, restoring my camera side switch etc.. I labeled stuff prior to changing stuff around.

The camera in question popped right up....and now the other two, which are both on a network over power setup are now not abel to connect.

PULLING MY HAIR OUT!!! LOL

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have everything set to DHCP for network addresses. If so, this is exactly the reason why static IPs have to be assigned to critical equipment, including PCs, cameras and any other device, like ethernet/powerline adapters.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you have everything set to DHCP for network addresses. If so, this is exactly the reason why static IPs have to be assigned to critical equipment, including PCs, cameras and any other device, like ethernet/powerline adapters.
Since the cameras do not show up on my router, they only connect to the BI machine.....I assume I need to set up static IPs there for the cameras?

But I thought I did this when I set them up originally on the second NIC.....

In my BI box under networking and for the NIC card running the camera side of things, the NIC says DHCP...and it shows the 3 camera IPs as well as the switch IP

I looked at the camera that came back magically via its IP web browser page and nothing in there seems to indicate any way to make it "static"....

I guess what I dont understand is why.....nothing has chanegd settings wise....just powered stuff down.....and now one camera that was DOWN while two others were up is now up and those two cameras are down!

Last edited:

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
If the PC is trying to get an IP address on that second NIC using DHCP where will it get that address from since there is no DHCP server there. The PC will assign itself an IP address after the DHCP request times out. That address will change any time the machine is powered off. Set a static IP address for the second NIC as well. The same is true of you powerline/ethernet adapter. It will ask for a DHCP address assignment but with no DHCP server it won't get one and will pick one itself after the request times out. Everything connected to that second NIC, and the NIC itself, all need statically assigned IP addresses. Once any address changes, it'll all go to hell in a hand basket on you.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok...well....I told you I am a newbie......

I was avoiding shutting down /restarting the B machine figuring that I would avoid MORE issues.

I restarted the box and like magic all cameras are now back.

I guess the NIc got confused?

That said, My second NIC card, the one running the camera side...DOES say "DHCP".....

Should I change that?

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If the PC is trying to get an IP address on that second NIC using DHCP where will it get that address from since there is no DHCP server there. The PC will assign itself an IP address after the DHCP request times out. That address will change any time the machine is powered off. Set a static IP address for the second NIC as well. The same is true of you powerline/ethernet adapter. It will ask for a DHCP address assignment but with no DHCP server it won't get one and will pick one itself after the request times out. Everything connected to that second NIC, and the NIC itself, all need statically assigned IP addresses. Once any address changes, it'll all go to hell in a hand basket on you.
I am almost certain I did assign static IPs to ten cameras when I set up the dual nics....I just cant remember where to look to verify that. I swear I did.

But the second nic is showing DHCP...so......I may be full of poop....

Thought at least for now I was good aside from the DHCP stuff...but since the last reboot, I can get into other "settings" in windows.....but for "Network ", a window pops up goes away in a split second before I can read it....

I hate to power all the way down....will try another restart I guess

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
YEs, like I said EVERYTHING that is on that second NIC, a totally private network, needs to have a static address. There is no DHCP server there to give out IP addresses. (DHCP=Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) That is normally done by your router, but that NIC doesn't even, or shouldn't even know about your router. Windows Server also has a DHCP server built into it but I assume you're running either Pro or Home for Win10. There are DHCP servers for Windows Home and Pro but the simplest, most bullet proof method is to manually assign IP addresses to every device.

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
YEs, like I said EVERYTHING that is on that second NIC, a totally private network, needs to have a static address. There is no DHCP server there to give out IP addresses. (DHCP=Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) That is normally done by your router, but that NIC doesn't even, or shouldn't even know about your router. Windows Server also has a DHCP server built into it but I assume you're running either Pro or Home for Win10. There are DHCP servers for Windows Home and Pro but the simplest, most bullet proof method is to manually assign IP addresses to every device.
Thanks! Yeah I am running Home 10 x64 on this box.

Can you clue me in on manually assigning the IPs w/o using a seperate DHCP server?

After another restart I am now able to get back into settings and BI is running and all cameras are up.....

But here is what my camera side NIC is saying. Not sure where to go from here.

Networking freaks me out. LOL

1647112098823.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A trip down memory lane lol.

You have to go into each camera and assign it an IP address that is on the same IP of the 2nd NIC.

Here was how you did it originally:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

1647112950383.png

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it you are in the USA and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

You can use this same process to assign the 2nd NIC an IP address. Hit Edit up above on your screenshot and then put it on the same IP as your cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
And as mentioned previously, no need to spend the time blocking out your LAN addresses.

You can list the private LAN IP addresses as it does not tell anyone anything - they are the same as everyone else. The IP address of your service provider for your WAN is what you don't provide...Everything on the inside past the modem is fine to put out. Everything on the inside, the local will fall under these ranges and you are not telling anyone anything about how to hack your system providing these ranges (basically any IP that starts out 10. or 172. or 192. are reserved for the "home side" of the service so every home internally will be within this same range):

10.0.0.0 – 10.255.255.255
172.16.0.0 – 172.31.255.255
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

moparcruiser

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A trip down memory lane lol.

You have to go into each camera and assign it an IP address that is on the same IP of the 2nd NIC.

Here was how you did it originally:

The default IP address of the camera is 192.168.1.108, which may or may not be the IP address range of your system.

Unhook a computer or laptop from the internet and go into ethernet settings and using the IPv4 settings manually change the IP address to 192.168.1.100

View attachment 121866

Then go to INTERNET EXPLORER (needs to be Explorer and not Edge or Chrome with IE tab) and type in 192.168.1.108 (default IP address of Dahua cameras) and you will then access the camera.

Tell it you are in the USA and give it a user and password.

Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save.

You will then lose the camera connection.

Then reverse the process to put your computer back on your network IP address range.

Next open up INTERNET EXPLORER and type in the new IP address that you just gave the camera to access it.

You can use this same process to assign the 2nd NIC an IP address. Hit Edit up above on your screenshot and then put it on the same IP as your cameras.
"Then go to the camera Network settings and change the camera IP address to the range of your system and hit save. "

Pretty sure that is what I had done early on....WITAJ had walked me through step by step as well as did others....I remeber those screens when setting up the two NIC cards....and setting up the subnet stuff....

How could it have changed to DHCP!? Maybe a rogue windows update? But then how are the cameras all still being seen by the NIC if the NIC was reset to "stock" by a rogue update?

Is there supposed to be a setting on each camera for selecting Static or DHCP? They are showing up with the proper IPs already.....this is where I get confused...