IP camera on metered internet connection

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm wanting to acquire some IP cameras for home security that support remote video access by android phone or pc. I've researched a little bit and have discovered that there are basically three types of IP cams - the older traditional type that require port forwarding and DDNS service, the indirect P2P that uses a 3rd party host server, and the pure P2P that apparently doesn't require the server. I'm on a monthly metered internet connection and can't tolerate constant video streaming to a host server. I need some kind of on-demand setup that can simply activate the home listening TCP connection, sample the video, and then return the connection to the listen state. I'm thinking that a the pure P2P setup might do this. But, I'm not sure about the traditional IP cam setup. I believe Unifore sells IP cameras that act as their own server/client. However, Unifore deals in commercial applications. Does anyone know of an IP camera or cameras on the market that function within the on-demand constraints that I've mentioned ?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Any traditional IP cam can do what you want plus just about all of the others as well. It'll only stream over the net when you connect to it and are viewing unless you set something up on purpose to record.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
setup a VPN Server and you can remote into your network at your own leisure, the overhead bandwidth is minimal and you know nobody will be streaming your cameras without authorization.. as an added bonus all the traffic is encrypted and secured externally.

firewall off the cameras so they can only talk to the LAN, they like to chat with external p2p servers even if your not using them and open up backdoors.

Leebart

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs....I considered the VPN idea before I even posted the question but, thought that acquiring a traditional non P2P IP cam and simply using a phone app like IP Cam Viewer might also work. However, I need to be sure that a 24/7 video feed to a host web server is not required.