IP Camera resetting to DHCP

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Any BI or NVR experts that might know of a hidden setting somewhere I'm missing? Currently we use the web GUI to get into the NVR, maybe it's a setting that I have to get to via console?
Nothing in BI can do it so you can eliminate that. Maybe on the BI server or elsewhere on your network if, for example, you had an IP conflict or multiple DHCP servers running. But that doesn't answer why the cam would go from static to DHCP. Not sure what happens on that cam if there's some IP conflict? Maybe fail to DHCP?

Some camera config setting in the NVR seems like a good place to start looking. Don't know the Dahua NVRs to suggest where.

Are you setting the static IP in the cam itself or through the NVR?

Last edited:

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nothing in BI can do it so you can eliminate that. Maybe on the BI server or elsewhere on your network if you had, for example, you had an IP conflict or multiple DHCP servers running. But that doesn't answer why the cam would go from static to DHCP. Not sure what happens on that cam if there's some IP conflict? Maybe fail to DHCP?

Some camera config setting in the NVR seems like a good place to start looking. Don't know the Dahua NVRs to suggest where.

Are you setting the static IP in the cam itself or through the NVR?
Thanks Mike

That's what I was lookkng for - to confirm that BI either can or cannot make these changes. Same thing for the NVR side

I think I have a lead to track down. The camera itself has the setting "enable arp/ping to set ip address service" checked. My understanding is that the Dahua NVR will use this to set the IP if connected directly into the PoE port of the NVR, but not if on an external switch. All of the cameras are configured in the NVR to use port 37777 and not Port1, etc but that could still be an issue. I do know that at one time one of my assistants was initializing all of the cameras by connecting them into the NVR first and then changing the IP to our LAN domain and moving it off of the NVR. This may be one of those cameras. I'm going to disable it. The other cameras on-site also have that enabled, but I'm not sure which ones he originally initialized via the NVR before putting it on the LAN

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
That seems like a good place to start. I didn't think that you could change the mode (static vs DHCP) via ARP/Ping but maybe so. Are you sure that it's actually switching to DHCP or just that it has some alternate address in the subnet?

37777 is Dahua's diagnostics/mgmt port and it looks like you can do a lot with that. Maybe the NVR can alter it using that in some way.

johnstjs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That seems like a good place to start. I didn't think that you could change the mode (static vs DHCP) via ARP/Ping but maybe so. Are you sure that it's actually switching to DHCP or just that it has some alternate address in the subnet?

37777 is Dahua's diagnostics/mgmt port and it looks like you can do a lot with that. Maybe the NVR can alter it using that in some way.
The camera was definately set to DHCP instead of static. I found 2 more cameras on my network that went back to dhcp but they never booted (or even bootstrapped) so they still had the old IP address which is outside of the dhcp scope. I changed all cameras to not have the arp/ping setting enabled. We'll see where that goes (I won't know for a week or 2)