IP Camera - save to own FTP or own cloud

wasssu

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
Could you please recommend me a ip camera (exterior, no wifi, poe) that could save footage on my own ftp server or my own cloud? I don't want a dvr/nvr only direct connection to switch&router.
Thanks!

Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking at reolink because do not requires a nvr. Why do people do not recommend reolink? :)
Lots of people who have visited this forum have had bad experiences with Reolink. Their low light performance is sub-par at best, and @fenderman has caught people in the past creating fake accounts to spam Reolink products on this forum. Nothing will bring down his wrath faster than that sort of unethical behavior.

If you want an exterior PoE camera that will work on an FTP or NAS server, then Dahua (or Amcrest, which is rebranded Dahua hardware) will provide that capability, and give you much better image quality as well. For example, here's the storage menu from an Amcrest IP8M-2597 for FTP and NAS. Plus, you can even pay Amcrest for their cloud service if you prefer that as an option.

Dahua and Amcrest cameras aren't perfect. Any manufacturer will have issues with certain models. But on this forum, you can at least get an honest appraisal of performance without someone trying to sell you something on the sly.

Screen Shot 2020-08-12 at 11.12.16 AM.png

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks, I was thinking at reolink because do not requires a nvr. Why do people do not recommend reolink? :)
Most "good" security cameras really don't need an NVR if that's your choice. Put an SD card in the camera, and record to that. Then the files can be viewed via a web browser without removing the SD card from the cam.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've helped the IT guy at several grocery stores install 64 cameras on 2 16 port nvrs, two 16 port poe switches and an on site nas for their cloud storage at each store.

It seems like a good way to avoid the cost of cloud storage. Obviously we put the nas in a different secure location although it's still on the premises. The cost to use the NVR/Cam manufacturer's cloud storage option for over 700 cameras at more than 11 stores would be VERY costly.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've helped the IT guy at several grocery stores install 64 cameras on 2 16 port nvrs, two 16 port poe switches and an on site nas for their cloud storage at each store.

It seems like a good way to avoid the cost of cloud storage. Obviously we put the nas in a different secure location although it's still on the premises. The cost to use the NVR/Cam manufacturer's cloud storage option for over 700 cameras at more than 11 stores would be VERY costly.
Yeah, storage is cheap as long as it isn't in a datacenter!

Dingoo

n3wb
Reaction score
Most "good" security cameras really don't need an NVR if that's your choice. Put an SD card in the camera, and record to that. Then the files can be viewed via a web browser without removing the SD card from the cam.
All my cameras have sd cards and i know the ip numbers but i can't reach the cameras in the netwerk and also de sd cards, i can read the sd cards only with the Logitech software. I have installed Blue iris but i can't find how i can read the sd cards with blue iris, that's my question ? Greetz

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
All my cameras have sd cards and i know the ip numbers but i can't reach the cameras in the netwerk and also de sd cards, i can read the sd cards only with the Logitech software. I have installed Blue iris but i can't find how i can read the sd cards with blue iris, that's my question ? Greetz
blue Iris can't read the data from the SD cards.

Dingoo

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you show me how i can view the sd cards via a web browser, chrome for example ? Thanks

aerostar

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you show me how i can view the sd cards via a web browser, chrome for example ? Thanks
You need to access the camera directly (outside of Blue Iris), using a web browser and entering the IP of the camera in the address bar, or using any of the camera management software provided by the camera manufacturer that allows you to play back your footage directly from the camera.

Dingoo

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried that, but the answer is: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. For now I can view the earlier recordings with camera management software (Logitech Alert), but this software will stop on 12/31 due to the end of Adobe Flash. From then on I will no longer be able to access the cameras with the camera's management software (I suppose) but they will still work and I can do anything with Blue Iris but no longer look at the sd cards. I have tried with the ip number of a camera and o so with ip and: 8083. Same result!

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I've tried that, but the answer is: ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED. For now I can view the earlier recordings with camera management software (Logitech Alert), but this software will stop on 12/31 due to the end of Adobe Flash. From then on I will no longer be able to access the cameras with the camera's management software (I suppose) but they will still work and I can do anything with Blue Iris but no longer look at the sd cards. I have tried with the ip number of a camera and o so with ip and: 8083. Same result!
Do you have the IP address right for the camera you need? Open up BI and just look at the camera settings for that specific camera and see what the IP is that BI is using to pull the feed. When you have it, type that IP address into a web browser with the defaul web port of :80.