IP Camera Suggestion for reading licence plate from tree?

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I put a camera on the tree in my front yard recently. The road in front of my house is 25' wide. The camera is located 10' high. I use IPC-HDW2231R-ZS with maximum Zoom and IR. I follow the suggestion from LPR forum to set up the camera. So far it has been working well. During day time, I can catch both license plates and faces. At night, I can only see license plates. I don't worry too much about vandalism. In the worst case I lose a $130 camera. I am more concerned about someone can hack into my home network via Ethernet cable. So I enable 802.1x authentication on my switch and camera.
Yeah that's one of my concerns. Redoing the whole network eventually to have full up isolation. Gonna be problematic.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I put a camera on the tree in my front yard recently. The road in front of my house is 25' wide. The camera is located 10' high. I use IPC-HDW2231R-ZS with maximum Zoom and IR. I follow the suggestion from LPR forum to set up the camera. So far it has been working well. During day time, I can catch both license plates and faces. At night, I can only see license plates. I don't worry too much about vandalism. In the worst case I lose a $130 camera. I am more concerned about someone can hack into my home network via Ethernet cable. So I enable 802.1x authentication on my switch and camera.
You eventually gonna put that cable into a conduit? If in conduit I think it's much less likely to be hacked but your comment is well taken and I'll put it on my list of things to consider. Suggest painting the cam brownish color. Being in Florida with severe T-storms all the time during the rainy season I need to figure out the best electrical isolation.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have an LPR in one of my trees and it works great. The camera is a Hikvision DeepInView LPR DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8.
I mounted the cam in a tree approximately 25 feet up. I utilized the pole mount adapter Hikvision offers and ran an ariel cat6 outdoor rated from my attic to the tree. Works amazingly well for the Frankenstein set up it is. I plan to trench out from my house to the tree for a more permanent solution in the next couple of weeks. Screenshot_20200222-211350_Photos.jpg

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an LPR in one of my trees and it works great. The camera is a Hikvision DeepInView LPR DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS8.
I mounted the cam in a tree approximately 25 feet up. I utilized the pole mount adapter Hikvision offers and ran an ariel cat6 outdoor rated from my attic to the tree. Works amazingly well for the Frankenstein set up it is. I plan to trench out from my house to the tree for a more permanent solution in the next couple of weeks.
Keep us posted on the final install....and, how about some pics of what it's looking at.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Keep us posted on the final install....and, how about some pics of what it's looking at.

Since that post I updated the cameras view and have dialed in the night time captures. I'll post some videos later.

Last edited:

2ndLeaf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You eventually gonna put that cable into a conduit? If in conduit I think it's much less likely to be hacked but your comment is well taken and I'll put it on my list of things to consider. Suggest painting the cam brownish color. Being in Florida with severe T-storms all the time during the rainy season I need to figure out the best electrical isolation.
I plan to bury the cable in front yard directly, since it's a CMXF direct burial UV ethernet cable. I feel a conduit attaches to the tree makes it too visible.

Yes, painting the cam is the next thing I am going to do, once I confirm the set up works.

Dahua camera comes with a waterproof connector for ethernet cable. I plan to use a waterproofing repair tape (such as this) to wrap the power connector. Any other suggestion?

beepsilver

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Seems in some cases a standalone or tree-mounted birdhouse might do well for camouflage; that's what I'm considering (would need ventilation, but would also be protected in the elements). I'd thought about housing the camera in a ground level fake rock/stone like Nayr did some time back, but snow levels would easily bury the whole kit and kaboodle.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I plan to bury the cable in front yard directly, since it's a CMXF direct burial UV ethernet cable. I feel a conduit attaches to the tree makes it too visible.

Yes, painting the cam is the next thing I am going to do, once I confirm the set up works.

Dahua camera comes with a waterproof connector for ethernet cable. I plan to use a waterproofing repair tape (such as this) to wrap the power connector. Any other suggestion?
There are many products like THIS. Shortly, someone will post the stuff they use, the name escapes me. BTW, the reason for the conduit up the tree is to help against tree rats (squirrels) eating the cable and from vandals cutting it.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

2ndLeaf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
There are many products like THIS. Shortly, someone will post the stuff they use, the name escapes me. BTW, the reason for the conduit up the tree is to help against tree rats (squirrels) eating the cable and from vandals cutting it.
Good point. I didn't think about that.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

coney27

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So here are two daytime captures
Two night time captures
And some stillsch04_20200222010044.jpgch04_20200222170949.jpgch04_20200222135507.jpgch04_20200222135505.jpgch04_20200222061716.jpgch04_20200222010044.jpg
The camera does all the processing, identifying, and reading of vehicles and plates and automatically uploads the captured info onto my Hikvision NVR.

Purduephotog

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I used a pressure washer with a jet nozzle to make my trench. Just keep everything you don't want covered in mud out of the way.

2ndLeaf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Seems in some cases a standalone or tree-mounted birdhouse might do well for camouflage; that's what I'm considering (would need ventilation, but would also be protected in the elements). I'd thought about housing the camera in a ground level fake rock/stone like Nayr did some time back, but snow levels would easily bury the whole kit and kaboodle.
I made a birdhouse from fence board, since beepsilver mentioned it. I will put it on the tree next weekend to see how it goes. I might add a front cover to it. Hope no bird will move in ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Careful with tree mounting, high winds can cause trouble even when secured to a large trunk as shown in the pic.
The slightest movement is amplified thru the eyes of a zoomed in LPR Cam.

2ndLeaf

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Careful with tree mounting, high winds can cause trouble even when secured to a large trunk as shown in the pic.
The slightest movement is amplified thru the eyes of a zoomed in LPR Cam.
Yes, high wind indeed causes problem. When I mounted the camera at the far end of branch, movement almost never stops. Camera is stable most of time at current position. I will move it closer to the main trunk if I need to further minimize the movement.