IP Camera Tester

riggz

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone used one that they like? I purchased http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X54J6XU?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 but it has an issue where the battery will not charge and after playing with it for an hour I noticed the screen started getting glitchy when brightness was set above 95%. I have returned it for a refund.

It appears to run on an Android based OS and has options for updating the apps and software but I can't find who originally makes it and where the updates would come from. Has a lot of useful features though.

I might try a different model with less options.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have used one like that for analog cameras, IP cameras it is easier to carry a laptop for me anyway.

Also, as a note on the one like that I have the battery is not connected inside when you get it, have to open it up and plug the battery in before it will charge.

riggz

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using my mobile phone with an app to aim them, but just recently encountered an issue where the client was not available, and I could not access the wifi network. I had to go up and down a 30' ladder and then up to the 2nd floor to view the monitor at the NVR. This wasted a lot of time and energy. Something like this would be easy to carry up the ladder to aim and test the cable. I'm not about to carry a laptop up the ladder. ;P

Yes I did connect the battery. It showed charging on the screen for just a second then would go back to not charging. There is a charging indicator on the screen that shows red when charging but it kept flashing instead of staying solid.

mkkoskin

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We have used similiar product ( http://www.metricu.com/Products.php?cid=11&id=89 ) and it makes IP camera installations a lot easier.

There are some problems with some camera models, and since most camera web-pages require some plugins, they are unusable via browser.

There is a ONVIF Device Manager clone on our tester (and probably on the one you linked as well), it works on for most new cameras that support ONVIF. It is easy to set up IP, zoom and focus the camera with it, but for other settings (resolutions, fps, image settings, etc.) it is easier to access from the recorder/laptop afterwards.

Big bonus is that it has it's own PoE output and battery lasts well.

This device we're using also includes handy cable testers/finders.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Most all these are made by a few manufactures. The majority of them come out of the Shenzhen District in China and are just private labeled or blank labeled and resold. Make sure to check around eBay, amazon, alliexpress, etc before making a purchase. You can almost always find comparable units in a wide price range. Just make sure to do your research and shop around.

solidstate

n3wb
Reaction score
What is the easiest way to view the image from a single IP camera on my notebook? Can I just use a browser? I want to see a live image to aim the camera.
Thanks

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Depends on the situation where you install. I just install at home, work, or friends/family so I always have wifi access to the network. Plug the camera into the network at the switch or router before hanging it, connect it to the NVR software you'll be using, set it up and guarantee you can view it from a wireless laptop or phone, then hang it and aim/focus with either your phone or laptop. You can also plug a cam directly into a laptop from the cam's final mounting point with an extra patch cord, supply power with either an injector or 12v power supply, change the laptop's IP info to match the cam's, find it, connect via browser, aim/focus, then connect the final cat5 and go back to the NVR and finish your work (if any) there. I prefer doing as much as possible in a chair from a keyboard at the NVR or computer away from the weather or onlookers as much as possible and aim via wifi if possible.