IP Camera to Smart TV

Lavapit

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm trying to set up an IP camera to be displayed on a smart TV. Also the camera will be located in an area that does not have a power outlet so It needs to work with a POE injector inline. I'm trying to do a live feed from floor 1 to a TV on the 3rd floor. I tried using a wireless camera to its webpage but the lag was horrible. Any ideas/comments/suggestions are appreciated. It is possible to run cat6 to camera.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It's recommended here that you go wired, as WiFi is not as reliable; and you'll get POE power to cam. You don't mention the type of TV, there may be an app that can be used, like IP Cam Viewer, instead of using a browser. Must have gotten below freezing in Central NY last night.

Lavapit

n3wb
Reaction score
It's recommended here that you go wired, as WiFi is not as reliable; and you'll get POE power to cam. You don't mention the type of TV, there may be an app that can be used, like IP Cam Viewer, instead of using a browser. Must have gotten below freezing in Central NY last night.
The TV is Samsung QN75Q6DAAFXZA. If I could find a cheap NVR and just put it behind the TV that would work too? BTW Yes also have about 6" of snow so far

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Setting up the camera and trying to view it on the TV are two different things and they need to be though of separately. First get the camera installed and working correctly. You should be able to view the camera by browsing to it's IP address. Once this is done, then you can work on viewing it on the TV.

To view it on the TV, it's probably easiest to use some sort of CCTV viewing app that you install on the TV. This way you can enter the correct address for the raw feed (you'll need to read your camera's documents to find it, or ask here) and you will see just the camera feed without any "extra" garbage. You could also use an installed browser and browse to the cameras IP address, but you will see the camera's GUI and menus which are unnecessary.

Lavapit

n3wb
Reaction score
Setting up the camera and trying to view it on the TV are two different things and they need to be though of separately. First get the camera installed and working correctly. You should be able to view the camera by browsing to it's IP address. Once this is done, then you can work on viewing it on the TV.

To view it on the TV, it's probably easiest to use some sort of CCTV viewing app that you install on the TV. This way you can enter the correct address for the raw feed (you'll need to read your camera's documents to find it, or ask here) and you will see just the camera feed without any "extra" garbage. You could also use an installed browser and browse to the cameras IP address, but you will see the camera's GUI and menus which are unnecessary.
I have the camera working, now I'm just trying to get the video to the TV that is acceptable for viewing.

concord

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the TizenOS that Samsung uses, you can check for tiny camera pro, ip cam viewer, etc to see if it's in the app store.

If you are only going to do live view and don't care about recording, viewing from a browser is ok, but I have yet to use a browser long-term (several hours) at a time and not sure how well that would work. Note that if it choppy still when wired, check your camera settings and increase frame rate to at least 15fps and your I-Frame should match your frame rate.

As for using a DVR/NVR, yes you could do that and connect it up to an HDMI port. Just remember that the brand of a DVR/DVR may need to be the same brand of camera (i.e. Dahua, Amcrest, etc. cams may work with a Dahua NVR, Hikvision cams may not).

Another way is to use a computer via browser or with NVR software on it, like Amcrest Surveillance Pro, BlueIris (most popular here), etc. Or a Raspberry Pi 4 with MotionEyeOS, etc. Check out the Wiki here (on top of page), along with videos on youtube.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You could also try sideloading the Android app "TinyCam" on a Firestick, plug into a HDMI port and maybe stream an IP camera with RTSP .

I've run TinyCam on our Sony (Android) TV and have often wondered if I could run the Android version of VLC on it but haven't tried it yet but I'll bet it will work great.