ip camera video security

Reaction score
hi everyone

i am very new to ip cameras so i hope you guys can help me with one or two questions thanks in advance
just to give you guys an idea what i have done the information follows.

i bought 6 hikvision 4mp 6 mm turrets ,i have installed blue iris on a virtual disc on my mac using vm fusion
and windows ten using a bridged network adapter
i am driving cameras with two 8 port poe switches with all cat 6 cables
i have created complex passwords for both router and cameras as well as for blue iris admin
i have ticked in web server page for secure connections only authentications all connections
i have set static ip address for all cameras and web server as well as the ip address of the host computer
i have port forwarding setup for remote viewing evering thing works fine.

so my question is about security

? 1 first is it worth setting up a vpn which my router has in built vpn server
2 i no the connection is secure as it is but the video stream is not ! so i think
3 have i done enough for security
4 which would you prefer vpn or stunnel
5 is port forwarding needed with vpn as i have read forward ports is not good for security is this true
6 can i put a vpn client on my iphone for remote viewing and is this worth it
7 what can i do to make this system better as far as security goes

kind regards wayne

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. I'm not an expert, but the recommendations from the smarter guys here are to use VPN.
I use OpenVPN as it is supported by my Asus router, and it was pretty easy to setup and get going.

2. The issue with port forwarding is that it opens a hole in your home network firewall for bad guys to get in. I think that's the bigger security issue, not that someone will steal your video feeds. But I really don't want that either.

3. No, use VPN instead of port forwarding.

4. OpenVPN I think is recommended.

5. If you use OpenVPN, you don't need to forward ports.

6. Yes, I use OpenVPN Connect. Free, and was easy to setup.

For security, I figure it's unlikely a bad guy would try to break into my home network, but in case he does, if I make it harder than the average person, he will give up after a bit and look for an easier target. You don't want to be the easier target lol.

Randy