IP Camera with RJ45 socket connection

nickdd

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

In my new house I want to start the installation of IP security camera's. Currently I've got unterminated CAT 6A cables sticking through my ceiling, exactly at the position where I want to put the camera's.
The ceiling is already finished (plaster and painted). There's a piece of wood above it in which I can easily screw the camera's. The utp cable is guided through a small drill hole through the wood and ceiling (see picture).

It looked like a good idea at the time of building but I did not take into account that most IP camera's seem to have a fixed short cable with RJ45 keystone. So I need additional space to house this cable and make the connection.
I would prefer to just crimp an RJ45 connector onto the cable and plug it directly into the camera. I can push back the cable through the ceiling so that I keep enough length for easy installation or future replacement of camera's.
However the drill hole is just wide enough for the cable and not to push the whole RJ45 connection through it.

I saw the Ubiquiti Unifi camera's have the kind of connection I'm looking for:

Current situation:
ceiling-cable.jpg

What other brands offer a connection like the Unifi camera's?
I was looking at Hikvision Colorvu camera's but they all come with the fixed cable with connector. Mounting a junction/connection box would make things look quite heavy.
I was hoping that in the turret versions it would be different, but I believe you can't fit the cable+connection inside without additional junction/connection box?

Unifi camera's don't appear to support ONVIF + they also get a bit outdated in terms of specs.

And suggestions would be appreciated!

Regards,
Nick