IP Camera

kenjidm

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello All...

Excited to have joined... I have a few questions that hopefully some of you board members can help out with.

I am looking for a few different cameras, I will bullet point my needs to make it easier

1. Camera, wireless or ethernet, that is good in the dark, potentially pitch dark. I see Foscam, but is that the best? I have a budget for 1 camera of about $400
  2. Another camera, I'd like to know if it's possible to stick a camera where I have a recessed light. Possible?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and looking forward to reading a bunch of post in the next few days.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Do not buy foscam, their cameras are a waste of money. Avoid wireless whenever possible. Look at hikvision or dahua. Where are you going to be using the camera? indoor or outdoors? what type of situation? Tell us more so we can recommend a model.

kenjidm

n3wb
Reaction score
The camera that I am interested in working in the dark will be indoors in my basement. I do have the ability to use Ethernet, but it's pitch dark no lights at night.

The camera that I want to fit in a recess lighting if possible is outdoor. There are some lighting around at night, but a little harder to run Ethernet but still possible.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Wired is the way to go forsure. Here is my suggestion for indoors http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=9441 or http://www.hikvision.com/en/Products_show.asp?id=9446
Both have sd card capability if you just need a few days of recording and dont want an NVR.
You can use the send 2532 for outdoors as well, but the ir is a bit weak for outdoor use. You might consider the hikvision 2732 its a large varifocal dome.
This is a nice option from dahua http://www.dahuasecurity.com/products/ipc-hdw4300c-620.html
How will you be recording these cameras?

kenjidm

n3wb
Reaction score
So does the HIK have the ability to record in the dark with IR? Is the quality pretty decent?

The SD Card capability is great and will work for the time being. I would like the ability to view from my iphone when or computer when I am at work (work at night).

I also have a Synology DS412+ that I have been real lazy to set up that I can record to as well. Their list of security cameras that mate to them is very specific so if ones recommended doesn't work, so be it.

Appreciate the feedback as I am very new to this field...... Viewing from iphone and ability for the camera to record in the dark with good quality are 2 aspects that for me, are hard to get a handle on as far as a good product.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
yes they both will give you decent quality in the dark, depending on the size of the room. The hikvisions should work with the Synology just fine. You can use the ivms iphone app to view remotely. The 2432 has an onboard speaker and pir sensor, while the 2532(S) only has a mic built in you would need to add the speaker and power it. If you want audio on the 2532 you need to specify S model with sound. The 2532 is significantly more vandal resistant if that is a concern.

kenjidm

n3wb
Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks I am sold. I was looking online for the 2432 and also see people mention alibabra and aliexpress. But I also see hik vision has an USA office. Is there a place this forum recommends buying HIK Products that they have had good experiences.
Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Many usa sellers selling the Hikvision cameras are reselling Chinese market cameras at a premium because they offer their own warranty (some are as little as 90 days). For us sellers look at LTS ( they sell rebranded hikvision @milkisbad is a member here and offer a full 3 year warranty), Nellys security and wrightwood surveillance .
You can get them cheaper direct from china via ali express. Look for good store reviews. CCTV china is a good source (although some have gotten unfocused 2432 cameras from them...there is a post on cam-it about it) I have purchased from Huaben http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cpXPnOYg and they have been good.
Keep in mind the camera is available in both 4mm (default) and 2.8mm lenses.
If you order from china be prepared to wait several weeks for it and understand that there is no warranty, even if they claim to offer one, the cost of shipping it back etc, means there is effectively no warranty.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Even if the IP camera is not in the synology approved list (which tends to be outdated) and it is not part of the camera pack, as long as the camera has ONVIF, it should work with your DS.

If you run the latest DSM 5 and Surveillance Station 6.3 you get 2 ip camera licenses included, instead of the just one with prior versions.

I think you'll be pleased with hikvision's IR performance in general and in the dark. If need be you can always add an inpensive IR light too.

Have a look at networkcameracritic dot com for some detailed product reviews and night images/video. A family member of his runs wrightwood surveillance, which sells hikvision (and others) in the US. The other places fenderman mentions are top notch too. Buying direct from China is a bit of a gamble as you are on your own for warranty and support. That's a personal decision which route to go.

kenjidm

n3wb
Reaction score
I appreciate everyones feedback. This has been hurting my head figuring things out till I stumbled upon this forum last night. I had sent a message to "milkisbad" for inquiry about the recommendations. Agreed with most, buying from China will be a risk. I will probably have to post another message later about installation. My 2 barriers are 1) I live in a townhome/condo so need to hide and 2) drill through stucco and how to run the ethernet cable.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you own? Drilling thru concrete stucco is doable; find a harbor freight and pickup a $70 hammer drill and a $25 set of big Concrete bits and it will make a nice clean hole pretty fast given the job.

you can shove an ethernet cable easy through 1/4in metal conduit and its cheap as crap from the local hardware store and easy to cut and work with.. like $2 for a 10' section, use compression fittings on all the ends, attach a metal box to mount the camera to and then paint all the new conduit to match the house, its pretty easy.. just start at one end and work to the other and get a small level with a magnet on it to help you make everything nice and square... your condo association wont even notice when your done if you took your time and did it right.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

milkisbad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
One thing to point out is that since the cameras are poe they dont come with a power supply by default. IF you will be using wifi you need a 12v 1amp adapter...ive used an old power supply for a E2000 linksys router as well as one of these tplink poe injectors to power the unit http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PoE150S-Gigabit-Injector-compliant/dp/B001PS9E5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408231387&sr=8-1&keywords=poe+injector
Yeahh definitely check if they come with power adapters. Surprisingly the Wifi cube camera does (while most models we carry sells them separately).

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, the other sellers dont include the power adapter (at least i dont think so, ive seen posts where folks were complaining) and the one i got from china did not.

icerabbit

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Now, for the outside camera that needs to be hidden.
What are you trying to cover? Single car parking space in front of a garage and entry way? two three four times that size.
Do you have any roof overhangs? Soffits?

Stucco kind of suggests wall mount to me.

And, maybe there's a way to not have to drill a huge hole or several holes in the stucco.

Any option of (temporarily) sharing a photo overlooking the area that you're trying to cover, so we can have a look?
And can review where you are trying to put the camera?

PS: I once had a little analog camera concealed in a light housing and have thought about doing it again with an IP camera for a covert option to capture cars & pedestrians walking up to my house, before they know there's a camera up and see the surveillance sticker or sign ;)