IP Cameras and HDR

LittleScoobyMaster

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do IP surveillance cameras use the same HDR found in today's TV sets?

I know some of my cams have WDR but none of them list HDR as a spec. When I think of HDR, I think of DolbyVision, HDR10, etc. Curious if any IP cams will ever utilize that, especially Dahua.

I'm replacing a 1080p with a 4K TV set and it will be 95% dedicated to the surveillance cameras. The HDR TV sets are sometimes double the cost of non-HDR sets. I also don't see HDR advertised in any surveillance software yet. Curious if it's because they use WDR instead most of the time. Haven't researched it much yet.

john-ipvm

Known around here
Reaction score
For example, Bosch IP cameras market their 'WDR' as 'HDR', e.g. see description in this Bosch press release Bosch introduces 1080p high dynamic range cameras for challenging lighting conditions by Bosch Security Systems

However, from our testing and understanding of components, whether an IP camera manufacturers calls its 'WDR' or 'HDR' it generally is the same thing, presuming it is 'true' double exposure WDR and not just digital enhancing, i.e., dWDR.

I don't know HDR for TVs, but I would suspect the technology is different than IP cameras, since an IP camera is using HDR / WDR in the imager to capture video while TVs presumably are using some other component / technology to display video from various sources.