IP Cameras Home environment - need some advise please...

Itay

n3wb
Reaction score
OK, you made some good points.. I also have a 2U server laying around doing nothing :), with 2 sockets holding Xeon CPUs, its 4 cores each i think (or 8?? o_O).. with 16GB of RAM (I can expand to 32GB i think), I can install windows on an SSD and have a dedicated 500GB/1TB HDD to it so it will serve a dedicated NVR and continue to use the current tower I have as a NAS and media server.
Few downsides here are: 1.it doesn't have a video card, I can use a very basic VGA only card just for logging in and configure things around (i can RDP remote to it just as easily instead maybe) - woll that be enough? or I must have a killer video card?
2. it means that 2 power sucking computers will be on 24/7 (I guess a dedicated NVR consumes less power then this 2U power server).

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
search for BI optiplex systems and others on here; for $300ish you can buy a modern system tha'll run loaded at ~60w; vs your xeons tha'll burn through $300 in electricity in very short order and perform far worse.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For $20-30 the simplicity of an audio baby monitor is hard to beat (to supplement a cube camera). You'll want a baby monitor that the babysitter / grandparents can handle using.

2-way audio for baby monitors is over rated. I know it's been useless for my sister, it just gets the kids more upset.

You'll also want to be able to use the baby monitor while you do other things on your phone and without draining the phone's battery.

Itay

n3wb
Reaction score
tangent - what i am looking for is a security camera with just an audio out.. this will be wired connected to an amplifier in my room, when we will go to sleep i just set it to this input to be able to hear if something happens.

Itay

n3wb
Reaction score
hope you don't mind but sliding from the topic for 1 sec, where it is best to locate the turrets?
this is the design of the backyard, its 9.8 meters wide and ~6 meters deep, sorry its not in english, i wrote the description for you to better understand the diagram:
upload_2016-12-4_11-47-1.png
the left and right fences are separating me with my neighbors backyards, behind the front fence there is a street and a small park.

I think 2 turrets is enough to cover the important parts, question is where to locate it? there is a 109 degree cover according to the hikvision turret spec.

sirius99

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why are we 'dissing the Dome camera's here? I would have thought the Turret camera would suffer from a range of spider like issues when outside and the lens would get rained on etc... whereas Dome wouldn't.... Im also thinking of putting a device on a wall as opposed to a ceiling type of location...Is Dome not better?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
Why are we 'dissing the Dome camera's here? I would have thought the Turret camera would suffer from a range of spider like issues when outside and the lens would get rained on etc... whereas Dome wouldn't.... Im also thinking of putting a device on a wall as opposed to a ceiling type of location...Is Dome not better?
There are several other threads that discuss this topic.

A dome in an outside "Uncovered" environment is not going to work. When a dome gets rain, snow, moisture on the outside of it and drys with water spots you have IR reflection since the IR is inside the dome covering it reflects back/inside the entire dome. You can mount a dome outside if it is covered and out of the elements.

A turret has the IR independent from the lens so it will not have these issues. The lens covering is also so small that having water spots etc rarely ever happens (personally I've never had an issue). Do spider webs still happen - at times, but short of shutting any and all IR off of a camera you will always battle this.