IP Cameras Missing after POE Switch Swap

trush

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all -

I originally had 4 Geovision IP cameras installed and powered with a DLink DGS-1008P POE switch for years with no issues. After acquiring 2 additional Geovision iP cameras, I moved to a new Netgear GS308EP switch, since I didn’t have enough POE ports on the DLink.

Since moving over to the Netgear switch, I can no longer see the cameras. As far as the new switch is concerned, they don’t even exist.

I guess my question is, does the Geovision IP camera need to be reset to accommodate the IP address of a new switch? I’m unable to ping the IP cameras with the IP addresses once I swap out the switch.

Any ideas on what to troubleshoot or how to proceed from here?

Thanks in advance,
-trush-

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess my question is, does the Geovision IP camera need to be reset to accommodate the IP address of a new switch? I’m unable to ping the IP cameras with the IP addresses once I swap out the switch.
The Netgear is a "smart" or "managed" switch since it can provide VLAN's so it's likely it has an IP itself, you log into its webGUI and your cams have to be "allowed" or "permitted". I'd read up on the user manual for it so it can be configured for those cams.

IOW, you should not have to touch your cams.

Reaction score
Are the cameras IP addresses assigned statically, or via DHCP? Have you changed network IP ranges?
If you swap the old switch back in can you ping/login to each of the previously existing cameras?

Is the new switch been configured? for example, have you made sure PoE is enabled for the ports in question?

trush

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you both for your responses.... I'm starting to make good progress. I now have several of the camera's showing up in the new switch and therefore, have been able to add them to Blue Iris. I was previously using GeoVision's NVR software. The cameras are assigned addresses via DHCP.

I've since logged into the Netgear switch and performed some port test. I'm getting random port errors, so I believe that I've got some wiring issues related to the new plugs put on the new camera runs. I now have some ethernet testing equipment that will allow me to confirm my connections on a per wire basis and make sure that my plugs are properly wired.

Thanks again for the support!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The cameras are assigned addresses via DHCP.
I suggest you assign unique, static IP's to the camera in the same subnet as your BI's server's LAN and router's LAN/gateway but outside of your router's DHCP pool. This can be changed any time should you go with VLAN's later.

Just be prepared to receive contradictory advice regarding static IP's for cameras and devices vs. DHCP (letting router assign)., ultimately it's your choice and nothing is set in stone.
I've since logged into the Netgear switch and performed some port test. I'm getting random port errors, so I believe that I've got some wiring issues related to the new plugs put on the new camera runs. I now have some ethernet testing equipment that will allow me to confirm my connections on a per wire basis and make sure that my plugs are properly wired.
Insure you are using solid, pure copper (no CCA/Copper Clad Aluminum) terminated on BOTH ends to T-568B or T-568A; CAT cable jacket rated for its application such as CMR (Riser) for use in attics, walls, craw spaces, floors, between floors.

T568B_RJ45_pinout.jpg

Last edited: