IP Cameras only good for after the fact? Not any more

handinpalm

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have been using Amazons Silk browser on firestick. I also have been buying the newer type of 4K capable firesticks, just in case I need that later on. I know @Holbs stated that he had problems with his firestick, but the 4K version has been rock solid. I was a little skeptical at first, because I was reading about all the advertising that Amazon put on the firestick while using, but I have not seen any thing what so ever. I am no fan of Amazon, but I have to say, I am very pleased with the performance.

I bookmarked my BI UI3 URL in Silk browser with something like this "192.168.XX.XX:1050/UI3.htm&maximize". Substitute your BI server address/port. I also went through firestick settings "Preferences" and disabled all the crap I could that shows up on the home page. Set up firestick to control power to TV. Once you bookmark the UI3 address, it will show up as "recently used app" on home page. So then to start, on remote, press power button, press page down button (cursor control) 2X to recently used apps, Press enter (center button) and Silk browser will start with UI3. It will be maximized to the extent that the menu items will not be displayed, but the address bar at top will be there. After UI3 has loaded, press and hold the down curser control where the mouse hits the bottom of page, and UI3 will be Fully Maximized. Whala! One thing I do not like with firestick is that they require you to have an active account (Non Prime) and internet connection, even though you want to just use it for LAN streaming. They want to track everything that is happening on this thing. I usually put devices like this on a guest network and block LAN access, but you need your LAN to stream. I would like to find a way around this. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. BTW, another plug for Brian, @bp2008, his UI3 utility is the Best!

As far a IVS, I use both tripwires and intrusion boxes. As many users have stated, a lot of times less is more. I typically have 2-3 different scenarios set up for each cam. You have to play around with tripwire and boxes for best results. Try to keep an area outside the tripwires/boxes for the algorithm to see an object, before it enters and don't make tripwires too dense (close together). I do reboot cam every time I change IVS settings. Sometimes I have to reboot BI server also. I am running 3 different version of firmware on all the 5442 cams, and have to admit it was frustrating at times. Right now, I am pleased with the IVS setup as far as really identifying people/cars and reducing false alarms. I just noticed that Andy posted that a new version of FW is available for people to try before releasing.

If you want to detect any movement with IVS, deselect both Human and Vehicle. You can clone your cameras in BI and set different BI motion sensor/trigger parameters on each clone. Just don't set an alert for these animal movements. I clone a lot of my cameras where I have human/vehicle alert from the IVS, and record all movement from BI motion sense. That way I see animals and IVS triggers. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been using Amazons Silk browser on firestick. I also have been buying the newer type of 4K capable firesticks, just in case I need that later on. I know @Holbs stated that he had problems with his firestick, but the 4K version has been rock solid. I was a little skeptical at first, because I was reading about all the advertising that Amazon put on the firestick while using, but I have not seen any thing what so ever. I am no fan of Amazon, but I have to say, I am very pleased with the performance.

I bookmarked my BI UI3 URL in Silk browser with something like this "192.168.XX.XX:1050/UI3.htm&maximize". Substitute your BI server address/port. I also went through firestick settings "Preferences" and disabled all the crap I could that shows up on the home page. Set up firestick to control power to TV. Once you bookmark the UI3 address, it will show up as "recently used app" on home page. So then to start, on remote, press power button, press page down button (cursor control) 2X to recently used apps, Press enter (center button) and Silk browser will start with UI3. It will be maximized to the extent that the menu items will not be displayed, but the address bar at top will be there. After UI3 has loaded, press and hold the down curser control where the mouse hits the bottom of page, and UI3 will be Fully Maximized. Whala! One thing I do not like with firestick is that they require you to have an active account (Non Prime) and internet connection, even though you want to just use it for LAN streaming. They want to track everything that is happening on this thing. I usually put devices like this on a guest network and block LAN access, but you need your LAN to stream. I would like to find a way around this. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears. BTW, another plug for Brian, @bp2008, his UI3 utility is the Best!

As far a IVS, I use both tripwires and intrusion boxes. As many users have stated, a lot of times less is more. I typically have 2-3 different scenarios set up for each cam. You have to play around with tripwire and boxes for best results. Try to keep an area outside the tripwires/boxes for the algorithm to see an object, before it enters and don't make tripwires too dense (close together). I do reboot cam every time I change IVS settings. Sometimes I have to reboot BI server also. I am running 3 different version of firmware on all the 5442 cams, and have to admit it was frustrating at times. Right now, I am pleased with the IVS setup as far as really identifying people/cars and reducing false alarms. I just noticed that Andy posted that a new version of FW is available for people to try before releasing.

If you want to detect any movement with IVS, deselect both Human and Vehicle. You can clone your cameras in BI and set different BI motion sensor/trigger parameters on each clone. Just don't set an alert for these animal movements. I clone a lot of my cameras where I have human/vehicle alert from the IVS, and record all movement from BI motion sense. That way I see animals and IVS triggers. Good luck.
The only problem I have with the Firestick (mine is not the 4k version as I believe 4k was created by martians to controo me..haha!) is that the Chrome browser app suddenly crashes once every 2-3 weeks and I have to simply but manually log in. Of course, I only find out it crashes when either Blue Iris or DSC alarm tries to turn on the smart TV when a HUMAN is in the vicinity of my house.