IP cameras through POE switch into Camera port on NVR. Not work.

Silhorn

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a few questions on the camera ports for NVR's that I need help understanding.

I suspect I have a rebranded TVT NVR. It has 1 LAN port and 16 Camera ports.

I have set up a few other nvr's in the past. What I usually do is just plug each camera directly into the camera ports.
I have discovered that each camera comes with the exact same fixed IP and when plugged into the NVR, it automatically changes the cameras ip's to not conflict with each other.
I have a new scenario for this job where I have 3 cameras coming into a POE switch then 1 cable back to NVR. If I plug that 1 cable into a camera port on the nvr it will not work. If I change the ip's for each camera via iptool the ip's don't stick.
If I do the same thing but connect to the LAN port instead it works and sticks, but that means my IP cameras are exposed to my local network so if the local network speeds are slow, then the cameras will be slow???, and I have to allow IP for my camera in my local network.
I know there are NVR's which have 1 LAN port and 1 Camera ports (16 ch NVR's) which are probably designed to allow me to do what I want but these type of NVR for some reason don't. Is there a way to separate the cameras from my local network on this NVR by pluggin into one of the camera ports?

Hope I make sense.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I've got a few questions on the camera ports for NVR's that I need help understanding.

I suspect I have a rebranded TVT NVR. It has 1 LAN port and 16 Camera ports.

I have set up a few other nvr's in the past. What I usually do is just plug each camera directly into the camera ports.
I have discovered that each camera comes with the exact same fixed IP and when plugged into the NVR, it automatically changes the cameras ip's to not conflict with each other.
I have a new scenario for this job where I have 3 cameras coming into a POE switch then 1 cable back to NVR. If I plug that 1 cable into a camera port on the nvr it will not work. If I change the ip's for each camera via iptool the ip's don't stick.
If I do the same thing but connect to the LAN port instead it works and sticks, but that means my IP cameras are exposed to my local network so if the local network speeds are slow, then the cameras will be slow???, and I have to allow IP for my camera in my local network.
I know there are NVR's which have 1 LAN port and 1 Camera ports (16 ch NVR's) which are probably designed to allow me to do what I want but these type of NVR for some reason don't. Is there a way to separate the cameras from my local network on this NVR by pluggin into one of the camera ports?

Hope I make sense.
Hi @Silhorn

NVR PoE ports are iirc typically not designed to daisy chain Switches off of. Thus yes, you would need to run those cameras from the LAN port of the NVR, and yes you need to design your LAN then to handle that, as well as secure that.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
I looked up some TVT NVR's, they could be rebranded Dahua. Sometimes the resellers rebrand others like Hik's or Uniview's. Hard to tell what you have, a screenshot of the web gui would be helpful. That being said, I have quite a few dahua systems set up using a POE lan port as a uplink to a poe switch. As models and firmware change, this may or may not work for you. The cams I want to run on my poe switch I give a static IP within the IP Pool of the nvr switch, More likely than not, the NVR will NOT see them at first.
In the dahua cam registration screen you can do a manual add, pop in the IP address of the cam, then user name and password and it should work. Depending on the Camera's you have, you might have to change the type of cam from private to Onvif, That was the only way around in some cases and you will loose some functions. And YES to what Matt says, by design its better to to it the other way.

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
In addition to Chris above: the easiest way to to hold the factory reset button of the camera (whilst being on the POE port), if you are lucky (and especially when these cams are Dahua too), they fall into "auto-initialising" mode, hence the NVR will configure them accordingly to fix hocus pocus IP addresses and all other nice cool stuff.

Good luck!
CC

Silhorn

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

I tried to put in manual ip address add but it says camera is offline. It looks like as you say they really not designed to be used this way with the poe camera ports. I take it with nvr's that are like 16 channel that have 1 camera port and 1 lan port are?

I think this is not rebranded Dahua camera, I used dahua before and their UI seems very old fashioned. here are pics of TVT,

Camera web interface.jpg
Camera UI ^

NVR web interface.jpg
NVR Web UI ^
NVR Interface.jpg
NVR UI ^

I look at TVT china website, looks like they are a separate manufacturer from Dahua and Hikvision? Interface very modern.

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

I tried to put in manual ip address add but it says camera is offline. It looks like as you say they really not designed to be used this way with the poe camera ports. I take it with nvr's that are like 16 channel that have 1 camera port and 1 lan port are?

I think this is not rebranded Dahua camera, I used dahua before and their UI seems very old fashioned. here are pics of TVT,

View attachment 72809
Camera UI ^

View attachment 72814
NVR Web UI ^
View attachment 72813
NVR UI ^

I look at TVT china website, looks like they are a separate manufacturer from Dahua and Hikvision? Interface very modern.
You are correct, NOT dahua