IP cameras with 2way Audio

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah thats basically it, the two-way audio features built into IP Cameras might be suitable for you if the system is only going to be used very rarely.. like scaring someone away.

but if you want to use this system for communicating with staff regularly, then you'll likely find the benefits of a VoIP system worth it.. especially since you desire full remote control, when your coming in over the internet that'll add a bit more latency, and all this will start to add-up.

just wanted you to be aware, most people think the 2-way audio on cameras will work in realtime, with no delays, like a 2-way phone call.. but if its embedding audio into the video feed and syncing them then that's not the case, I work with 2-way audio/video a ton and if there is any kind of delay, it really screws with people... Video Calls are all about getting the latency down, and they use protocols designed for realtime adaptive quality, ie they will give up all quality to keep latency low.. whereas IPCameras maintain a constant high quality and care little about latency, simply because traditionally they are uni-directional and not used for communications.

so while both options should give you what your looking for, they go about implementing it differently.. Ive seen some IPCameras with built in VoIP capabilities (typically door bell cameras), but I dont think you should make that a requirement for your camera system.. it'd limit your choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr,

I think I'll set it up with the VoIP. I started buying hardware. So we'll see what happens.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a lot of bad guys that want all my equipment. I've been robed several times.
Make sure some of your cams are at a good height to grab face shots.

An alarm with a good mix of high quality outdoor sensors like photoelectric eyes, contacts on gates, and dual tech outdoor motion sensors (like the dsc LC-151/LC-171) might be very useful. You could do this several ways including the option of a silent alarm to give the cops time to respond. You can also put tracking devices in really expensive equipment. There are also some ways to sense things with metal fences or buried cables, but most are pretty pricey (think military / gov / large defense contractor), and less reliable. Sensing vehicles is a lot easier and cheaper.

There are also wireless asset protection sensors for alarms, I know honeywell makes one.

Fastb

Known around here
Reaction score
@nayr,

Great overview of VOIP vs two-way talk though the NVR and cameras. You guidance is making me rethink my approach, and an alternate approach.

Objective: Job site security/surveillance of single family remodels by a General Contractor (GC). The system will be set up, and months later, broken down and moved to the next job site. Wires must be minimized. If a burglar enter the job site a text, email and snapshots will be sent out. The GC will surf in on his phone or laptop, and have video & audio, two way. The GC can tell the burglars to leave, 911 has been called, etc. So audio latency is a real drawback.

Previous thinking: Use Dahua cams with audio in & out. Hook up mic and speaker to most cams. Two way audio could occur outside or inside, depending on which cam the burglar is near, and which cam is being viewed by the GC in gDMSS or SmartPSS

Current thinking: My testing shows different audio input delays, depending on where I'm connected. Audio is delivered to the cell phone and NVR "audio out" pretty quickly. It's much slower to my pc (using a browser connected to the NVR locally)

Considerations: Connecting an outdoor-rated speaker to a camera involves wires. The speaker must be a powered speaker, tied into 12V like the mic. (and I haven't found a good speaker yet). Bottom line: a camera with a mic AND speaker is a headache for the GC. He needs to adjust the setup as walls, sheetrock, insulation, etc goes in. A camera with built-in mic and spkr would be perfect. They're rare & expensive.

Latest thinking: Limit two-way audio to the NVR. Use the Audio Out of the NVR for the job-site speakers. I'd still use camera-connected mics to record audio/video. The NVR audio-out is active no matter which camera I view. (Unlike the camera audio out, where I need to view THAT camera and talk into the cell phone mic)

Q1: Any guidance?
Q2: Do you have 12V powered outdoor rated speaker you like?

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Objective: Job site security/surveillance of single family remodels by a General Contractor (GC). The system will be set up, and months later, broken down and moved to the next job site. Wires must be minimized. If a burglar enter the job site a text, email and snapshots will be sent out. The GC will surf in on his phone or laptop, and have video & audio, two way. The GC can tell the burglars to leave, 911 has been called, etc. So audio latency is a real drawback.
Forget minimizing wires or going wireless... just install the wires properly and leave them behind pull the cameras and other equipment. Value added for the home owner. While you're at it run a few additional wires to critical locations for data use (tv's, office, each floor, etc). In the long run this will be cheaper and work more reliably. I'd just trigger a siren off a camera/nvr alarm output.

On 2 way audio, you aren't exactly trying to have a conversation with the burglars. A siren or recorded message work almost as well. I mean you can't yell, "hey fat ass in the red hat drop my drill before I take it to your skull" over a speaker but how often is anybody really going to do that.

For a construction site, you could do a wireless alarm with sensors on job boxes and fence gates. A wireless alarm is more modular and easier to move. If the contractor works big enough jobs that they put one of those mobile office trailers on site (doubtful), cameras might be more viable.

idk, a silent alarm might even be best at a construction site so you don't scare them off before the cops arrive assuming they haven't started taking bolt cutters to the wiring or plumbing.

robmasoboy

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anyone connected any external speakers to HIK VISION cameras. I would love to get this working over POE.