IP cams in arctic regions??

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been asked to come up with a proposal for a system of ip-cameras to be placed at an arctic location well above the polar circle. The purpose is to study wild life, and we expect to install 5-6 iP-cams. At least for now, I have in mind to establish a solar power system combined with a small diesel generator and a radio link with an Airfiber 5 radiolink (https://www.ubnt.com/airfiber/airfiber5/).

I wonder whether anybody at the forum has experience with cameras in artic regions? The temperature may drop to some -45 deg C = -50 deg F in the winter. Any problems with ice formation on the inside of IP-cams? Maybe one has to heat them? That would obviously not be attractive from a power point of view and might generate ice problems from melting snow.

Any input from people with experience in the field would be mostly welcome!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
at those temps its dry, if you keep moisture out there is nothing to freeze inside.. and at those temps no internal heat will melt external ice.

inside a sealed metal container everything will be safe and sound, but ice building up on the outside.. thats mostly mercy of the environment.. you want a strong enclosure and mounting system so when several hundred pounds of ice form on it wont end up crushed.

sand blasting glass is another issue, usually you want a design that has field serviceable glass protection.

seqncr

n3wb
Reaction score
my company have tested some ip cameras with ir illumination in a climatic chamber, reaching about -50°C. They seemed to work fine and stable for over a day. Some of them were losing sharpness slightly, at over -30°. Speed domes were not tested. I belive the temperature itself will not be a problem.

I never experienced any worse weather conditions than rain and i have no practice at installing under extreme conditions, but i belive the question is how to install rather than what to install.