IP POE cameras for 3d printers, terms to search for?

tater1337

n3wb
Reaction score
I have been using some IP POE cameras with blue iris to monitor some 3d printers, but they are meant for general room sized security, and are almost impossible to focus on something less than 3 feet away. anyone know what I should be searching for in the case of replacement cameras? focal length?

ideal would be a focus area of 6" to 2 ft

most of the cameras I am using are security system discards, but also had the same issue with two brand new ones(they work nice, but not at less than 3feet)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If these a are fixed lens, you may be able to take a camera apart, and rotate the lens and adjust the focus depth to your needs.
What cams are you using?

tater1337

n3wb
Reaction score
What cams are you using?
brickcom's with variable focus. it does not focus close enough

in searching google I found a similar forum post with a similar issue, seems most IP cameras wont focus closer than 4ft

they didnt have a solution either

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Consider this camera, I have one in service 3 years now in a bluebird box, mounted in the ceiling of the box about 4" from the tops of the birds' heads. I think at 6" it would be even clearer but the box won't allow it. Video below shot about a month ago.

This eBay vendor says he has 7 of the Sercomm RC4551 cameras in stock with free shipping. These make great bird box cams: close focus, 1080p, slight fisheye, POE, built in mic, has IR with cut filter, streams RTSP to VLC or Blue Iris. And you don't need the plug-in doohickey that sometimes comes with it, it supposedly allows Wi-Fi to it but it's crappy, I hear. The cam will take 802.3af/at-compliant POE from a POE switch or POE injector directly:

www.ebay.com

Sercomm Full HD IP Camera RC4551 See Description | eBay
Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Sercomm Full HD IP Camera RC4551 See Description at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!
www.ebay.com

View attachment Bluebird_052724_1425.mp4

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
More info, regarding mounting if the furnished post mount is not adequate. I doubt the added heat sink will be needed indoors :cool::