Ip system for Condo complex.

joescaccia

n3wb
Reaction score
I work for the maintenance department at a condo complex and they would like a few cameras installed. 1 camera watching the pool and another watching the parking lot at this location there is a building that will hold the NVR. there is also internet at this location. This will be a easy installation. Now the tricky part. They would also like a LPR camera at the entrance of the complex. One of the board members will allow a camera to be mounted on the side of there condo and they have also agreed to let them use his internet and power. They have also requested that the equipment is Uniview. this is what they have in there other properties. my question is. Can the LPR camera be connected to another network and somehow tie in to the nvr located at the other end of the property? And is this a reliable connection? Thanks in advance!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
You could conceivably use 2 of the Wireless " airMAX" Nanostations and send the data that way.
At my previous Condo I use a pair of Ubiquiti's to "act as wire in a sense" and beam the camera data back to the NVR.
If you could work that out then you'd have all the cams coming to 1 place. and leaves Homowner out of it except for Power.

joescaccia

n3wb
Reaction score
You could conceivably use 2 of the Wireless " airMAX" Nanostations and send the data that way.
At my previous Condo I use a pair of Ubiquiti's to "act as wire in a sense" and beam the camera data back to the NVR.
If you could work that out then you'd have all the cams coming to 1 place. and leaves Homowner out of it except for Power.
Thanks for the fast reply. I have also thought about using a radio. Only concern that it is not line of sight. there would be another condo between the receiver and transmitter that would be in the way. the signal would only need to be sent less than 300 feet.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah but you might be able use Cat5 cable to reach out and around the other condo. Can't tell with out a diagram. They will work if the line of sight has some interference, but the speed would be degraded. But for only 1 cam it might be enough. Thoeretically you could have the airMAx on a cable 100 meters from the LPR mount. or perhaps on the roofs.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
there might be more powerful devices the can make the connection....some guys here know more about it....

joescaccia

n3wb
Reaction score
lots of you tube videos on various methods and models.
Thank You, The only issue I would have is line of sight. the condo I would mount the radio on is 2 stories and the other building is a single story which I would mount on the chimney which would be the highest point. there is a condo right in the middle that could block the signal. but it is only a few hundred feet between the 2 points. I guess I could just get a few radios and give it a try.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just be aware that the foilage-punching 900MHz radios are no longer available new from Ubiquiti; you might find some used ones or another brand.

A pair of larger NanoStation M2's (2.GHz) might make it though; I've done it through about a 250 ft. patch with similar trees and bushes to the one in the YT video and got 20Mbps throughput from 30Mbps DSL.

Definitely a field survey and a temp setup with a pair would tell the tale.